News:

Loving SimpleDesk? Help us spread the word!

Main Menu

Wanting to use SimpleDesk as a reporting system

Started by Shawn, April 18, 2012, 06:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

Hey all,

So I like SimpleDesk and would like to use it for my "severe weather reporting" service on the National Skywarn forum which I currently run. However, I need to make some adjustments and was wondering if you all could help me?

1. I want all submissions to be open to everyone meaning anyone can see them including guests. However, I will require that only registered members can submit the reports.

2. I would like to change the priority levels (low, high, etc.) to something custom which I plan to be the type of severe weather the user will be reporting.

How could I go about doing these things? I am not afraid to edit code if needed.

This reporting system will likely be used as a major severe weather reporting system by Skywarn storm spotters and I hope that the National Weather Service picks up on it as well.

Thanks in advance :)

P.s. I am running the latest download of simpledesk and SMF 2.0.2.

venguard223

1. The system *cannot* be set up for guests to see tickets. I doubt this is going to change any time soon, nor is it particularly easy to change even in the code itself. I would note that it was designed that way for a reason.

2. Not possible without a massive rewrite. Priority, you say? Yes, you could do that via editing SimpleDesk.english.php in Themes/default/languages/sd_lang/

(I thought you said about changing the ticket's status, but remember that the status is a lot more than just a label, all sorts of things are attached to it)

Not being afraid to alter the code is one thing, having to rewrite massive systems is something else entirely, and not even I'm willing to take this on for SimpleDesk itself, and I suspect I will end up just gutting it in WedgeDesk to make these possible.

Shawn

Thanks for the reply :)

Okay, would it be possible for all members to see reports (tickets submitted) instead of guests? If not, that is fine and I can look for something else or attempt to code something.

venguard223

Sure you can do that, just make sure that you attach at least a role based on Users to Regular Members.

I would suggest not trying to edit the code that handles permissions, especially ticket visibility, it is not simple and took many hours to get right in 2.0.