News:

Loving SimpleDesk? Help us spread the word!

Main Menu

[Wont Fix] Split/merge ticket

Started by Arantor, February 26, 2010, 04:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

This is something we don't have in 1.0 that in hindsight possibly should have been added, but I'm really keen that we should put this in 1.1.

Acans

Sounds good. I get people asking for support in Announcements and in other peoples topics asking for random help. So I get the idea this will come in very handy, at least for me.

Arantor

Really this one is about keeping a ticket on course for what it is.

Arantor

Some questions of relevance:

* Permissions? Own/any or just 'can split' and 'can merge'?

* For merging, require that both tickets are from the same person?

flapjack

make sure you take deleted content into consideration

Arantor

I basically can't forget it. The way the system is designed and the way the merge/split pretty much has to work doesn't allow me to forget either.

flapjack

what if you are going to split previously merged tickets? do you have a way knowing where all the attachments goes?

Arantor

*nods* Attachments are stored both against a ticket and an individual message, it's possible to keep track of exactly where it's supposed to be. The moment a split or merge is done, we just fix up the ticket ids, because the messages will still be correct.

flapjack

Arantor

Unassigning me from this so I focus on other things first.

Arantor

tfs

One of the options shown when splitting a ticket is "The new ticket should have every reply from this message (including this message)"

Is it just me or is that an odd way to phrase it?  Is the first instance of the word "message" really referring to the ticket, or does it mean to say "from this message forward" or something like that?
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Arantor

Yeah, it's a bad phrasing.

The two options amount to:
* split the ticket so only this message is the new ticket
* split the ticket so this message and everything after it is the new ticket

They are absolutely analogous to the first two options provided by SMF for splitting a topic; I didn't feel a burning need to include the third option (picking which replies) since that's a nightmare enough in SMF, and doubly so for us because of recycling.

Though I am debating whether we should include PM the user functionality here like there is for topic/ticket.

Arantor

Added PM user functionality, tidied up the UI a little (but likely needs more work)

tfs

In the split ticket dialog, it says "Send a PM to the ticket starter:" and indeed, a PM is sent to the person who created the originating ticket, while the new ticket will belong to the author of the split "post."  Should there be the option to assign ownership of the split ticket also to the originator of the first ticket?  And perhaps the ability to assign a relationship between the two tickets?  I could see opening a new ticket this way for a customer by going to what will be the "Parent" or "Sibling" ticket, posting a comment, and then spawning that comment into a child or sibling ticket by splitting it off.

The assigning to a different user I know is in the road map, but this would definitely be a nice place to have it, even if it's an either/or option between originator of the ticket and originator of the split post.  And offering to build a relationship between the split tickets seems like a natural.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.