News:

Looking for a good read? Check out the SimpleDesk Team Blog.

Main Menu

Replace/add to help templates

Started by Arantor, January 05, 2010, 05:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Related to http://www.simpledesk.net/forum/index.php?issue=1.0

The help tab would be left in such a mode however it would need to be diverted to a manual on SD instead of SMF.

tfs

I wrote an install doc a while ago over in the Documentation Helpers section.  It's a start.  I do enjoy writing documentation.  It makes me feel like I'm contributing, since I can't contribute on the PHP side.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Gruffen

OK, I went back and re-read the discussion that SMF had about what they did, and some of it more directly applies to us. We are pretty much one of the only mods that ever even bothered to think about it, but the arguments they made are about cases where you have the help area outside the forum, well it's not accessible outside an internal network for example - the company I used to work for wouldn't have allowed it, for example.

So there's that argument in favour of putting it back into the software itself.

tfs

Just as a note about myself and the way I used the SMF help system when I first found SMF... I didn't.  :)  Never used it one time.  It seemed so much easier to just dive in and learn it by doing it.

I would have much preferred a knowledge base/FAQ type of material at hand and searchable.  Not the WIKI that we talked about last year, but an actual FAQ and knowledge base with good search functions.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Gruffen

What occurs to me is that this FAQ and KB would presumably fit into the proposed KB feature and be installed on a fresh install as a 'how-to' guide.

Spoogs

From what I see:
User POV is rather straight forward especially if they are only in 1 role and 1 dept
- Multi-Depts just requires them to think a little especially if they have different roles in different depts.
Staff POV should be fine as well, considering you'd more likely train your staff to use your Helpdesk
SD Admin, of course this you would only grant to someone you trust.

Site owners should find the ACP fairly well documented, otherwise they'll have to come here and let us know and from there we can get a better understanding of what really needs to be in the docs/faq... we can then work towards pushing that in a future version, especially if we're adding this in the KB system.

Gruffen

In which case, I suspect we should bump this to a later version and make it part of the KB feature then.