News:

Looking for a good read? Check out the SimpleDesk Team Blog.

Main Menu

Can't See The HelpDesk Tab

Started by Scotty1207, May 15, 2012, 10:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty1207

Hi,

I have looked at another topic on this but I can't get access to the link.  I was wondering if anyone knew how to make the helpdesk tab appear for regular members as I don't see how members can get access to the help desk otherwise.

tfs

Setting up permissions is done at Admin/Helpdesk/Permissions.

After you've activated SimpleDesk you, as an administrator, will see a new "HelpDesk" menu on your forum.  But your users still won't see anything because you have yet to grant them permission.  In order to grant your users permission to access and utilize your HelpDesk you must first create Roles. Roles are similar to SMF's membergroups and all permissions are granted via roles.

SimpleDesk has three pre-defined template "roles" already there for you.  Their purpose is to give you a head start in creating your help desk permissions.  There's one each for help desk administrators, staff and users.  These "template" roles can not be deleted or edited, nor can they be applied directly to your users.  They're there so that you can "clone" them, creating a new role that you will apply to your users.

When creating a new role, be sure to clone the template that fits the new role you wish to create.  For users, make sure to clone the Helpdesk Users template.  For staff, the Helpdesk Staff template, and for admins, the Helpdesk Administrators template.  You can tell which template was used to originally generate a given role by the small glyph picture to the left of the role names in the list of roles.  Regular users have a dark haired man with a light blue shirt, staff has a dark haired man with a dark blue shirt, and admins have a white haired man with a dark blue shirt.

Once a role is created, it can be edited or even cloned itself to create another new role, but you must remember that there are invisible and inherent properties of a role depending upon the original template that was used to create it.  You must use the Users template to create your user roles, and any user roles you clone from those roles.  Do not clone your user role and think you can make it into a staff or admin role by simply changing its permissions.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

venguard223

A year on, I wish I hadn't bothered creating the role based system for permissions, it's caused nothing but confusion for people, despite how much I thought it would help...

Scotty1207

Unfortunately it still doesn't appear for the normal users. Do I have to set up a department?

tfs

When editing the help desk role, assign it to one of your groups... such as "Regular Members".

Also assign the role to the default department.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

tfs

Quote from: venguard223 on May 15, 2012, 02:36:24 PM
A year on, I wish I hadn't bothered creating the role based system for permissions, it's caused nothing but confusion for people, despite how much I thought it would help...

It's not that bad.  Once you get used to it, it works just fine.  And it's nice having all of this outside of the regular forum membergroup permissions.