News:

Looking for a good read? Check out the SimpleDesk Team Blog.

Main Menu

Installing OVER SMF

Started by javacafe, January 13, 2013, 06:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

javacafe

This may be a naive question, but I stumbled upon SimpleDesk only just a little while ago.

From my understanding of SimpleDesk, it seems that it comes with a built-in forum.  However, I have already installed the latest version of the Simple Machines Forum on my web site (and have even customized it quite a bit).

So, I would like a ticket system that integrates with an existing install of SMF (without having to uninstall the SMF I already have).  My question is:

Can SimpleDesk be installed over the SMF installation I have?  That, can I simply add SimpleDesk to the SMF installation I just created (asking SD to, in a manner of speaking, not install its forum but integrate with the SMF I already have instead)?

Thank you for your attention.

venguard223

QuoteFrom my understanding of SimpleDesk, it seems that it comes with a built-in forum.

Nope, it's an SMF mod, so it relies on SMF to be the forum. It can just turn off SMF as a forum should you want to do so (in case you want to have a nice helpdesk that's themeable, but also integratable with other systems)

QuoteCan SimpleDesk be installed over the SMF installation I have?  That, can I simply add SimpleDesk to the SMF installation I just created (asking SD to, in a manner of speaking, not install its forum but integrate with the SMF I already have instead)?

Yes, of course. There's no 'forum' as part of SD, so nothing for it to install. Just remember not to play with the 'standalone mode'.

* venguard223 is curious as to where it ever implied it came with its own 'forum'.