What's in SimpleDesk 1.1?

Started by Gruffen, April 07, 2010, 04:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gruffen

So, we've just released SimpleDesk 1.0, and while we're very excited to have it released, in reality it is a stepping stone to more awesome things, and we knew we wouldn't be satisfied with just a 1.0 release.

Without further ado, let's take a look at what's in 1.0 currently, and what we're putting into 1.1 as a set of new features, and feature enhancements.

Legend:
- New Feature
- Feature Enhancement
- Functionality Removal
- Functionality Change
- Bug Fix

What's in SimpleDesk 1.0
General Features
Ticket Display (Staff / Members)
Post/Reply/Edit tickets
File Attachment
Staff Features
Ticket Listing
Ticket Recycling
Ticket Assignment
Member Features
Urgency Levels
Ticket Status
BBcode, smileys, WYSIWYG support
SMF Features
Staff Permissions
Standalone mode
BBcode, smileys, WYSIWYG support
Integrated admin area
Move Ticket to Topic (and vice versa)
Integration with Profile - Track IP options
And here's what we plan for 1.1.
General Features
Custom Fields in Tickets/Replies
Email Notifications/Change Updates
Staff Features
Ticket Relationships / Linked Tickets
Split/Merge Tickets
Member Features
Ticket's action log in the ticket itself
SMF Features
Staff Permissions
Ticket wiki-links [[ticket:123]] support
Integrated area in the Help pages
SSI.php functions for gathering data
Integrated "search our forum" in ACP support form

A few more details:

Custom Fields in Tickets and Replies - The ability for helpdesk admins to create new fields to be added to tickets and/or replies, with controls over what data can be supplied, who it is visible to and more.

Email Notifications - Have the helpdesk email users when their tickets are updated.

Ticket Relationships - The ability to link two or more tickets together, for example a previous ticket that was resolved but that has occurred again.

Split/Merge Tickets - The ability to split a ticket into two tickets, or to merge two tickets together, for general housekeeping and maintenance.

Ticket action log - 1.0 already features an action log of changes to tickets, but it is for all tickets. This will allow the ticket log to be visible in the ticket itself, so the changes for a ticket itself will be visible in the ticket where it is relevant.

Staff Permissions - 1.0 uses the SMF permissions system and while functional, the interface is less than it could be at present, and does not allow us to do some of the things we want to do in later versions - as well as being confusing for first time users. So we're going to overhaul it into its own area within our administration panel.

Ticket wikilinks - A small feature but a potentially useful one, the ability to be able to post [[ticket:123]] in a post and have that automatically link to the ticket in question.

Integrated Help - Unfortunately due to the timescale involved with development, we were not able to get a full guide written for integration into the help system; we intend to add integration into the Help area for 1.1.

SSI.php functions - Primarily aimed at portals, we will be including SSI functions that will allow you to access SimpleDesk data outside the helpdesk itself through a set of functions not unlike SSI.php's functions for the forum.

Integrated search into Support page - One of the more interesting things we've done with SimpleDesk 1.0 is the ability to post to our support board here, from within SimpleDesk itself. Taking this concept further we want to be able to have users search the support board *before* making a post through the ACP, hopefully avoiding the need for them to make a topic; the search will be automatic.

hadesflames

Definitely some good stuff coming up here =]

I can't wait to rip it apart
*will add something eventually*

Gruffen

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to implementing some of this stuff - 1.0 was fun (and I'll blog about that shortly) but a lot of 1.0 stuff was stuff that was necessary rather than really interesting to code, like the core posting stuff.

Antes

Glad to see those improvements :) , keep it up guys doing awsome ...
The Evil One

Gruffen

Quote from: Antes on April 07, 2010, 06:55:58 PM
Glad to see those improvements :) , keep it up guys doing awsome ...

They're not out yet... this is just what we're going to add over the next dev cycle, which may be a few months yet...

Bonk

Quote from: Arantor on April 07, 2010, 04:47:54 AM
Custom Fields in Tickets and Replies - The ability for helpdesk admins to create new fields to be added to tickets and/or replies, with controls over what data can be supplied, who it is visible to and more.

Email Notifications - Have the helpdesk email users when their tickets are updated.

I am very happy to see these two features top of the list. That is exactly where I would have gone with it. Now I don't have to! Yay!

I'm assuming the email notifications would email moderators and admins (helpdesk staff) too? Like, say on a new ticket?

(I have successfully installed 1.0 and am training staff on it now - to go public soon. Thanks again!)

Gruffen

The idea for notifications is to allow emailing staff on a new ticket, emailing all concerned on a ticket update and so on. Configurable in many ways though.

raggi5

Glad to see development underway again already!

[FailSafe]

What do you mean by "Integrated Help"?

Gruffen

Adding a manual to the pages in Help... or for standalone mode, replacing them entirely.

blackdozer

Is a very good changes, I hope it remains so simpledesk
Oficial translator: English - Spanish

DrHouse

Excellent to heard that, i will use it for my mods  :P

Quote from: blackdozer on April 11, 2010, 02:44:25 PMIs a very good changes, I hope it remains so simpledesk
it's wrong, mate, you must mean "there are very good changes".

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

Quote from: DrHouse on May 02, 2010, 01:27:05 PM
it's wrong, mate, you must mean "there are very good changes".

Let's be picky and say that your version is also incorrect. The correct line would be "Those are very good changes", or "That's some very good changes" or "There are very good changes in the next version". ;)
But now, who cares? Wi writes laik we wantz to iven if itz nott rit