Getting Started Guide

Started by shaiss, April 05, 2010, 12:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaiss

I've used SMF on many sties, but this is my first implementation using SimpleDesk.  Is there a simple how to get started that picks up after the module installation?  Right now on my clean 2.0rc3 install all a new user would see is your standard SMF front page.

Any point in the right direction is greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

flapjack

considering that SD came out today, it's first implementation for 99% of all members of this site. if you are using rc3 then the Helpdesk link should have appeared in the menu. is it there?

tfs

First thing is that you need to "Activate" SimpleDesk by going to Admin/Configuration/Core Features.  Down near the bottom is SimpleDesk.  A link is provided to that at the end of the SimpleDesk install process, but it's easy to miss.

Then, the meat and potatoes of what you need to do is to go to Admin/Members/Permissions and setup the many permissions for SimpleDesk.  Initially the only user who sees the HelpDesk menu will be admins.

Note that there are THREE different sections of permissions related to SimpleDesk.  One is for general users items, another is for helpdesk staff, and the last is for helpdesk administration.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

slavikf

Quote from: flapjack on April 05, 2010, 01:06:55 PM
If you are using rc3 then the Helpdesk link should have appeared in the menu. is it there?
I activated module in Core features.
I can't see any menu.
Is there direct link for SimpleDesk?
I am using SMF 2.0 RC5

Gruffen

So you installed it. Did you turn it on from Core Features? It won't appear until you have.

slavikf

Oh, now it worked!
I had to activate it two times...

Thank you.

GTB

Hi,

I have just installed SD without any errors, but I can´t get it activated in Admin/Configuration/Core Features

I´m using SMF2.0

Any suggestions ?

Can I activate it over phpMyAdmin ?

Thanks, GTB

tfs

I'd be concerned about why you can't activate it in Core Features.  This is the first time I've heard someone say that.  Do you know why?

I'm afraid I don't know what you'd need to do in PHPMyAdmin, though this query would most likely show you the rows that would be in question...

SELECT * FROM `smf_settings` where variable like 'shd%' order by variable
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.