How to install SimpleDesk from A to Z !

Started by mateli, February 16, 2012, 09:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mateli

Hello,

I am Electronics engineer in apprenticeship and computer science is not my favorite field so be indulgent with my level.  I am in my last year of engenirring school and for my final project study I have to manage and reorganize support service in my company.

Software that use my company is not easy to use. That's why, I see SimpleDesk and I decide to try it.

However, I don't understant how to install this software. I saw the getting starte guide but have you got procedure with more detail ? or better an installer ?

Regards,

Mateli

venguard223

SimpleDesk was not designed as a standalone helpdesk, but as a modification to the Simple Machines Forum (SMF) software. I doubt it will ever be totally standalone, either, it would need to be completely rewritten from scratch to make that happen. In which case I suspect the software is not really for you.

If you still wish to install it, the instructions are:

1. Install SMF 2.0 or higher.
2. Go into the SMF admin panel, to the Package Manager.
3. You can upload the SimpleDesk package in that area, and SMF should install it for you.
4. Go to Admin > Core Features, select the power button next to SimpleDesk, then press Save at the bottom of the page.
5. The helpdesk will now be operational.

mateli

Thanks,

I have now installed SimpleDesk.

But I just want the HelpDesk part and remove the forum.

Is it possible ?

Regards

venguard223

You can use the standalone mode to disable the forum, in Admin > Helpdesk > Options > Standalone mode, as that is what it is designed for.

You cannot remove the entire forum, however, because SimpleDesk uses a great deal of SMF's code. Like I said, to have it truly standalone would require a complete and total rewrite and no-one is working on that as far as I know.