DB error (Illegal mix of collations)

Started by cooljim, June 03, 2010, 10:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooljim

I got the below error when I view the tickets  :-[

Illegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation 'ifnull'
File: /home/mmsarpay/public_html/Latest/Sources/Subs-SimpleDesk.php
Line: 450

Gruffen

Yay for SMF bugs.

Do you have access to phpMyAdmin?

~DS~

SMF bugs...how? This hadn't happen to us.  :o
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

Gruffen

It's a known SMF bug, as Nao will more than readily confirm (probably even in Mantis by now, if not it giggly well should be as it IS an SMF bug), where the package manager doesn't properly enforce the same collation as the installer does. Normally only occurs on less well configured shared hosts.

It only kicks in if you use an SMF table and a mod-own table in the same query with different collations, which is applicable here for instance since the ticket-loading query joins to the SMF members table.

The only cure is to modify the table collations manually.

cooljim

Quote from: Arantor on June 03, 2010, 02:24:06 PM
Yay for SMF bugs.

Do you have access to phpMyAdmin?

Yes, I can access to phpMyAdmin ...
And I changed the collation for SimpleDesk DB Table ... But Still can't solve the problem ...

Shall I need to change the collation for members?

cooljim

Quote from: Arantor on June 03, 2010, 02:40:21 PM
It's a known SMF bug, as Nao will more than readily confirm (probably even in Mantis by now, if not it giggly well should be as it IS an SMF bug), where the package manager doesn't properly enforce the same collation as the installer does. Normally only occurs on less well configured shared hosts.

It only kicks in if you use an SMF table and a mod-own table in the same query with different collations, which is applicable here for instance since the ticket-loading query joins to the SMF members table.

The only cure is to modify the table collations manually.

Well , my problem solved ...
I changed the collation of helpdesk db table from utf8_unicode to utf8_general ...
Here is Our Forum helpdesk link ---> http://www.myanmarsarpay.info/Latest/index.php?action=helpdesk;sa=main
Thanks for good Modification and support ...

Gruffen

Did you change every one of the helpdesk tables? I'm guessing you did if it's working properly. Unfortunately you'll hit the same problem when upgrading SimpleDesk - you'll also hit the same problem if you install things like Aeva Media.

You may have been better modifying the collation for SMF itself to be the same as the tables generated by the package manager (instead of changing the helpdesk to suit SMF, changing SMF to suit the helpdesk will mean no problems in future mod installs)

cooljim

Quote from: Arantor on June 04, 2010, 04:25:34 AM
Did you change every one of the helpdesk tables? I'm guessing you did if it's working properly. Unfortunately you'll hit the same problem when upgrading SimpleDesk - you'll also hit the same problem if you install things like Aeva Media.

You may have been better modifying the collation for SMF itself to be the same as the tables generated by the package manager (instead of changing the helpdesk to suit SMF, changing SMF to suit the helpdesk will mean no problems in future mod installs)

Ummm, yeah, I changed all the helpdesk tables ... So what should I do now , shall I need to change it back?
Actually, This HelpDesk system is nice to use ... I don't know about coding or somethings similar to that ...

Thanks

Gruffen

If it works, it's fine for the time being. BUT, if you ever install any other mods that add their own tables (of which, many do), they'll give you exactly the same problem. You'll also hit the same problem if you upgrade the helpdesk in the future.

Whatever the helpdesk tables were created as originally, the rest of the tables should really have been altered to match.

And thanks :)