Viewing departments as user / admin on other

Started by IvanBlack, July 18, 2011, 11:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IvanBlack

SimpleDesk version: SimpleDesk 2.0 Anatidae
   SMF version: SMF 2.0

As our forum has departments for several servers, the helpdesk admin of one group are users on another group.
When I set all groups to the "user" role and the respective group to the "admin" role only the department with admin rights shows up for the admin.
Normal users see all departments.

Permissions shouls be changed so that a member can be admin on one department but user on another one and see both.

Spoogs

Use user roles and staff roles instead
You really should only use admin roles for people to trust to administrate the helpdesk meaning they can do anything in the helpdesk.
users in Admin roles can change anything the forum administrator can in the helpdesk.

Gruffen

Sounds to me like you need to create multiple roles/group associations, rather than creating one master user role that covers everything (which is NOT how it's supposed to be used)

That said I can't really talk you through it in detail because what you've told me is very vague and I will almost certainly get it wrong in trying to explain it to you, but the system as designed should be able to cope with it if you use it correctly.

And no, the permissions are most definitely not going to be changed any time soon. I spent long enough writing it this time around, and if they are going to change, I pity whoever takes it on; it accounts for several thousand lines of code all on its own...

IvanBlack

I will try to explain it so that you can see if this is something that is already in the system or must be solved otherwise. First of all, we are extremely careful with assigning roles, however we do have teams of trusted people.

We are a gaming community working with different games, each of which has a team of scripters and managers.

Server A
Server B
Server C

All registered users are set as user on the helpdesk.
Scripters are set as staff on the server where they are scripter.
Managers are set as helpdesk admin.

Problem:
Staff/Admins of server A sees only the helpdesk of server A, and not the helpdesks of server B and C
Same for staff/admins of server B, C etc.

While this is a problem for a limited amount of people, it would be great if staff and/or admin roles of server A could be recognized as user on server B and C.

If this is beyond the current permission system, keep it as feature for version 3. ;D

And btw congratulations on the version 2, apart from this small wish we are impressed with it.

Gruffen

Assuming that a user is considered a user for all three servers, you would create one user role, applying to all three departments, and make sure that role is attached to both regular members and also to the groups that apply to server members.

It just seems to me that you tied the user role only to Regular Members, and not also to the staff groups (all it will mean is that they have all the permissions users would have in their respective department, as well as being staff in the department in question)

If that doesn't make sense, please provide more details like exactly what roles you have and exactly how these roles are configured. The more information you provide, the more chance you have of being helped.

(And it would be a pretty crap design if you couldn't be different roles in more than one department, it's specifically built to allow for users being staff in one department and users in another.)