Topic solved
This topic is marked as solved and as such require no attention unless you want to bump this issue.

Editing urgency levels?

Started by Flavio93Zena, May 04, 2014, 09:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flavio93Zena

Hi everyone and thanks in the first place for this amazing modification, i really needed it for my forum as it will be related to a game.
I have a few questions, hope someone will answer because as i could see there are not many active users T.T
Sorry if i am in the wrong section, the questions are more but i'd put them in one post rather than spamming by opening many threads, feel absolutely free to edit, move it or split it according to your needs and will.

• (Most important question) How to edit urgency levels? I mean i want to remove completely urgency_id number 4 and 5 so i will have only from number 0 to 3. I already know how to edit the language string.
  • Is it possibile to associate certain custom fields to priority levels? I mean if someone selects from a custom field scrollmenu the option A the ticket will automatically have priority 0 or whatever, just an association instead of allowing users do that and maybe make mistakes.
  • Is it possible to remove the subject completely and/or replacing it with a custom field form? (The one above, it's like a category thing, i don't need a subject really)
Thanks in advance, also for the captcha that is not totally unreadable as on the official smf forum  ;)

Flavio93Zena

"message in order to show this as last post"

venguard223

You can change the names in the language files easily enough but changing it so there are more than 6 or less than 6, or altering the balance of 'more serious' (which is permission driven, of course)... ain't gonna happen.

Associating custom fields with urgency levels, would require major overhauls to the guts of both subsystems. Can't really envisage a situation where that would make much sense, actually.

Removing subject completely? No.

Flavio93Zena

Quote from: venguard223 on May 08, 2014, 01:29:43 PM
You can change the names in the language files easily enough but changing it so there are more than 6 or less than 6, or altering the balance of 'more serious' (which is permission driven, of course)... ain't gonna happen.

Associating custom fields with urgency levels, would require major overhauls to the guts of both subsystems. Can't really envisage a situation where that would make much sense, actually.

Removing subject completely? No.
Thanks for your reply as the first thing.

I will try to explain myself better. I'm asking this because i don't really need the subject i just need a category system i have already created. Why? Simple, because i need people to select the argument of the ticket from the categories I give them. This is mainly because it is a forum for a new independent game so i need like tickets for hacking or swearing etc but i would have liked the ticket to get its priority automatically basing itself on a given category. It's very hard to explain so i'll give you a link so you can see what i mean this is the ticket page so you can see the categories and all the stuff. People now has to select the category and then the priority, they can set even the higher priorities because i think that it should be like that. Actually i can't understand the fact that a staff member opens a ticket and then sets it as "severe" priority... Why not solving it in the first place? So that's why i made it like that. Also as a workaround i have edited the 2 highest priority levels to be like "please select the priorities above" but removing those 2 lines would have been really better for me... You can't access that page without an account so there you go: "Test2" is the username and password is "venguard223". Maybe as a smarter workaround it could be easier just to remove those 2 "please select the priorities above" lines instead of removing the actual function. But if i do that in the languages file i get errors of undefined indexes.. It's just that i can't find the file in which those bleh functions are so that i could simply put a double slash (//) before the string and it would be good i think. The urgency would be still there but it would be hidden, it would be fine anyway to me :D

Notes: I am currently translating the guide on how to send tickets because the older one was based on the previous system and also note that the account will be active a few minutes after this post.

Thanks in advance :D

venguard223

I'm not sure explaining yourself was going to make any difference.

Without a subject, things just will not work properly in the system. Lots of things will break down. It was simply never designed to ever function without tickets having subjects.

For hacking or swearing, that almost sounds like a job for different departments rather than anything else.

The staff member creating a ticket thing? That's easy to explain. There are times I create a ticket that I know needs resolving but it's not ultimately down to me to resolve. There are times my colleagues add a ticket based on customer feedback that will ultimately be passed to me to resolve. It's just a slightly different usage model to yours.

As for changing the urgency levels, showing me is not going to change a thing. The system was NEVER designed to cope with the changes you're asking and please believe me when I tell you that I know the problems associated here. It is a fundamental design flaw that urgency isn't customisable, it can't be fixed without starting from scratch, like many other things.

SimpleDesk was built primarily for Simple Machines' own website use, to replace the creaky one they had, and so many of its behaviours are driven because of that, and not in a good way.

Trust me, you can't just simply comment out the definitions and hope it'll go away because it WILL break things if you try stunts like that.

I should know. I built the bleh thing. All of this is my fault.

Flavio93Zena

Call that "fault" bro you all did an awesome job anyhow. Thanks anyway for your help i'll keep it like this, it's still much more professional than all the others i have seen so i'm very happy about it. Thanks for your time and your explanations, regards. :D
P.s. Also thanks for this awesome mod of course!

tfs

Quote from: venguard223 on May 09, 2014, 12:29:06 PM
I should know. I built the bleh thing. All of this is my fault.

Hehe! All your fault!   ;)
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Flavio93Zena

After this time I gained much more experience and can somehow understand why it's not possible.
You based the whole mod on those 6 arrays, as such, they are not variables and in order to introduce/remove something with those you would indeed need to rewrite it. :)

I found a workaround though, I just renamed the highest urgency level to "Please select one of the priorities above" :P The only issue with it is that it's still selectable. Can't figure out if some js would be able to avoid it and how to do it anyway. I don't mind if it could be bypassed by removing it with the inspect element view, users doing that would be just stupid. Lol if you got any clues about that let me know.