News:

Looking for a good read? Check out the SimpleDesk Team Blog.

Main Menu

Topic solved
This topic is marked as solved and as such require no attention unless you want to bump this issue.

SimpleDesk not seen under Core Features

Started by fsgenesis, April 08, 2010, 01:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~DS~

Are you using custom theme by any chances?
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

Gruffen

Did you chmod the folders themselves too?

fsgenesis

Default Core theme

yes, printed out the "test successful" pages and manually chmodded every file and folder the installer said it was gonna modify.  When I looked at the file/folder via sftp the files were not modified and there were identically-named backup~ files there, but the originals weren't touched.  The files to be extracted were where they were supposed to be, and the installer told me installation was successful.  When I was redirected to the Core features page, SimpleDesk wasn't there.  Obviously because none of the files were actually modified.

Ttypical error message from the logs is:

http://www.fsgenesis.net/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install;package=simpledesk-1.0-felidae.zip2: fopen(/home/virtual/site4/fst/var/www/html/forum/Sources/ManagePermissions.php) [<a href='function.fopen'>function.fopen</a>]: failed to open stream: Permission deniedFile: /home/virtual/site4/fst/var/www/html/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 2495

I noted that the backup files created by the installer are owned by apache, instead of me, yet I am able to change permsissions and delete them.  I have created a temp folder in Packages director and chmodded it 777, as well as the backup directory.

I dunno.  about ready to call in the little white van and have myself fitted for a straightjacket

Gruffen

So it has permission to create new files (folder items in the directory have write permissions) but that the files themselves don't. When you set permissions on a folder it needs to be told to do it recursively - most file managers only touch the directory inode without changing all the files and folders within.

So what permission specifically is ManagePermissions.php?

fsgenesis

All those files/folders listed on the "test successful" page were manaully chmodded to 777 via sftp before i clicked the install button

feline

If you need help on install SimpleDesk, then you can send me a admin and ftp account for your server (PM), so I can make that for you ..

Fel

PortaMx has released version 1.4 for SMF 2.0 with revolutionary features, which no other portal has. This is only possible with the PortaMx 'OOP' programming technique and the built in 'SEF' engine.

fsgenesis

Hi,

Thanks.  But I woke this morning with a fresh mind and installed it manually.  It was brutal, but managed to make all the proper edits and got it installed without errors on the first attempt, fortunately.

Sure would have been easier if my Package Manager worked, though.  Still need to figure that one out.  Don't look forward to reinstalling it manually everytime SMF is updated.

Gruffen

Good to know you got it installed, but I'm curious to know why package manager failed to make the edits it was supposed to, that's very curious.

Unfortunately there's not a great deal we can do about minimising edits; a lot of the edits to SMF itself are very much required, though some of what I have in mind in 1.1 will trim it a little bit.

fsgenesis

Yeah, Package Manager!  Never have gotten it to work in the three years I've been running SMF, both on my former server and on my new one.  I don't install a lot of mods, so was never a big problem.  But I really wanted/needed to install the SimpleDesk so I went ahead and risked my sanity and did it.

BTW, is there a way to make a post into a support ticket and have it stay in the forum, too?  Looks like that's what your forum does.  When I move a post to the HelpDesk it disappears from the Forum.  But the posts here seem to stay in the forum and when they're solved a little checkmark appears beside them.

Do you move it to the helpdesk, deal with it, mark it solved, then move it back to the forum and the little checkmark shows up then? Or am I missing something in my options?

Gruffen

We're not using SimpleDesk here (yet), what we have here is a separate mod to flag topics as solved.

It would be possible to add such a feature in but that wasn't the way it was intended; the feature was designed originally for Simple Machines' Charter Members helpdesk where tickets get filed that are out of the scope of the support offered by the team there, and as such the tickets normally just get closed and CMs have to open it as a new post. This way it can be moved from helpdesk to forum in a matter of clicks.

fsgenesis

Ah, ok.

Can I ask which portal you're using here?  Looks good.

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

Quote from: fsgenesis on April 09, 2010, 04:03:29 PM
Can I ask which portal you're using here?  Looks good.

We're not using any portal. We're using a custom coded system to create our custom pages. It's based around SMF's SSI functions. For more on that subject, you should go read the SSI Readme.

Gruffen

Are there any more support issues here to deal with?