Topic solved
This topic is marked as solved and as such require no attention unless you want to bump this issue.

SimpleDesk not seen under Core Features

Started by fsgenesis, April 08, 2010, 01:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsgenesis

Hi,

Installed SMF 2.0 RC3.  Everything went flawlessly.

Uploaded SimpleDesk, ran install.php and got nothing but "Database changes are complete!"  Iinstaller didn't take me anywhere.  Went to SMF Admin, clicked Configuration, Core Features, and SimpleDesk is nowhere to be seen.

What did I miss?

Thanks

Justin

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

Hi,

SimpleDesk should be installed through your Package Manager, just like any other SMF modification.
Go to Admin > Package Manager and upload the entire package, then install it.

fsgenesis

Hi

Thanks for the quick response.  Well, this really isn't your problem, but I've never been able to get the package manager to work.  It always reports that my login is incorrect even though I put in the same info that CuteFTP uses to connect.

Any quick solution to the package manager problem, something stupid that I'm missing, or should I go to SMF forums and try to figure that out?

I have a dedicated service with root access, so no hosting involved.

hadesflames

Yeah you should probably get that sorted out over at SM.org

In the meantime, you could always try manually installing the mod...although that may be a huge hassle...
*will add something eventually*

fsgenesis

OK, managed to get the package manager to successfully install SimpleDesk (it says!?), and it's now listed under Installed Packages.  Go to Configuration | Core Features, still not listed there.

Gruffen

Not listed under Core Features at all?

Please attach your ManageSettings.php file.

fsgenesis

OK, but before I do that, what is /Sources supposed to be chmodded?  maybe that's part of the problem.  Siupposed to be writeable?

Gruffen

It's supposed to be writable during installation so files like ManageSettings.php can be modified. As should the themes directory.

fsgenesis

Aggg.  Made /Sources writable.  Still not there, still not noted in ManageSettings.php.

Will uninstalling return all the modified files to their original state?  Don't want to hose my whole forum uninstalling this.

Think I need to figure out the package manager problems, then reinstall it.

Gruffen

I'm not so sure any files have been modified.

1. Do you have any files whose name begin with 'SimpleDesk' in Sources, Themes/default or Themes/default/languages?
2. Can you attach your forum's index.php and ManageSettings.php please?

I suspect nothing's been modified at all except a rogue entry in the database.

fsgenesis

You're correct.  Nothing has been modified.  I think all I need to do is to make it so Package Manager doesn't know I ever tried to install.  Then I can get my Package Manager problem worked out (probably some sort of permissions thing), then start from scratch.  But right now Package Manager thinks it's installed.

What do I have to do to get Package Manager to forget about it?

Gruffen

Tell it to uninstall. It should be failing every "test" but that's no problem, let it do that.

Then assuming everything's writable, reinstall.

fsgenesis

Pulling my hair out! LOL

Clicked Uninstall and getting:

"You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!"

And it's now showing two instances in the Browse Packages page.

What are the ramifications in clicking Delete?

Gruffen

Delete will delete the DB item, if there are no files modified it's fine to just delete stuff.

fsgenesis

I've spent the better part of the past 6 hours trying to figure out why my Package Manager isn't modifying any files.  I've read every forum post at SMF, tried everything they suggested, and the end result is--nothing . . . but frustration, bumps from banging my head against the wall, and my eyeballs spinning in opposite direction.  I need to go outside and SCREAM!

Package Manger give no errors, tells me all test were successful, tells me everything installed fine, yet no modifications are actually made to the files on the server.  And I've wasted a whole day on something that probably should have taken 20 minutes.

Does anyone have any insight or ideas, beyond those over at the SMF forums (which I've already tried), as to WHY my Package Manager won't modify any files, even when those files that need to be modified were manually chmodded 777 before running the install?