Main Menu

TrackIP

Started by [FailSafe], January 27, 2010, 07:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[FailSafe]

I was looking through the Function Database over at SMF, and I saw TrackIP() which made me think....If SD is going be a standalone thing would that mean that TrackIP is needed since there is no forum to track it itself?

Sorry, i'm not very good at coding yet, but the question has been bugging at me. :-X

SleePy

Who says SD can't borrow functions from SMF? :D
Jeremy D — Spare-Developer

[FailSafe]

Ahh, Good point.

Well the reason I was asking was because I didn't see any talk about it on the PT so I was wondering if it was being considered. ^^;;

Gruffen

What exactly would you need this for, though?

* Arantor is confused.

[FailSafe]

Well, because it's going to be built as a standalone instead of with the SMF forum.

To try and clarify my logic, since it's standalone you won't be able track the IP address of the ticket senders using SMF. So to compensate you would use TrackIP(), or something, to track the IP's of the users who send in and reply to tickets to enhance the standalone quality of it.

Gruffen

Quote from: [FailSafe] on January 28, 2010, 07:03:20 PM
Well, because it's going to be built as a standalone instead of with the SMF forum.

Where have we said that? It's directly built into SMF thus far. No code exists that can run standalone. It was a matter we discussed but there are no plans to do anything other than integrate it with SMF at present.

To try and clarify my logic, since it's standalone you won't be able track the IP address of the ticket senders using SMF. So to compensate you would use TrackIP(), or something, to track the IP's of the users who send in and reply to tickets to enhance the standalone quality of it.

What we should be doing is integrating it into TrackIP(), nothing more or less than that. The format is already correct to be able to do that internally (since the ticket/ticket replies tables are directly modelled on the topics/messages tables) so it should be a relatively straight-forward matter to scoop up the data.

It may be in a slightly different format, however, as I'm not familiar off hand with TrackIP's code, so it may end up for technical reasons that we present it in two lists rather than one, but I can't speculate on that right now.

[FailSafe]

Quote from: Arantor on January 09, 2010, 07:06:10 PM
Shut down forum component
One thing we're keen to provide is what can look like, and function like, a standalone help desk - you would be able to close down the entire forum-specific code and simply have access to a functional, viable helpdesk, albeit one that states it is powered by SMF.

Oh, I might have misread that. Oops. I thought it meant you were trying to make it standalone, not that you wanted it to look and feel like a standalone. Sorry. :-\

Well that just makes most of what I said kind of silly. But at least i'm happy knowing I brought that idea to the table. :)

Gruffen

And it's in the issue tracker :)

Yeah, the key phrase is 'look like, and function like' - i.e. shut down the forum stuff.

Achilles

Quote from: Arantor on January 28, 2010, 07:08:03 PM
Quote from: [FailSafe] on January 28, 2010, 07:03:20 PM

Where have we said that? It's directly built into SMF thus far. No code exists that can run standalone. It was a matter we discussed but there are no plans to do anything other than integrate it with SMF at present.

What we should be doing is integrating it into TrackIP(), nothing more or less than that. The format is already correct to be able to do that internally (since the ticket/ticket replies tables are directly modelled on the topics/messages tables) so it should be a relatively straight-forward matter to scoop up the data.

It may be in a slightly different format, however, as I'm not familiar off hand with TrackIP's code, so it may end up for technical reasons that we present it in two lists rather than one, but I can't speculate on that right now.

Hehe. I'm just a little bit confuse of what a standalone really mean. You mean shutting down the forum component, only SD will work? So meaning it is on a different site? Or it will be just a mod that will be there, with the other forum components, wherein it is just a click a way? like, www.sitename.com/forum -- when I go to SD, I will proceed to www.sitename.com/forum/simpledesk? something like that? hehe.

Sorry, but yeah. I'm just a little bit confused. :) Thanks so much! =)

Gruffen

QuoteHehe. I'm just a little bit confuse of what a standalone really mean. You mean shutting down the forum component, only SD will work? So meaning it is on a different site? Or it will be just a mod that will be there, with the other forum components, wherein it is just a click a way? like, www.sitename.com/forum -- when I go to SD, I will proceed to www.sitename.com/forum/simpledesk? something like that? hehe.

Standalone means you install the forum then the mod, then there is no forum enabled. It looks for all the world like there is no forum.

The home page is replaced with the helpdesk. No categories, no boards, nothing. Nothing other than the copyright suggests it's a forum.

Achilles

Quote from: Arantor on January 30, 2010, 08:38:26 AM
Standalone means you install the forum then the mod, then there is no forum enabled. It looks for all the world like there is no forum.

The home page is replaced with the helpdesk. No categories, no boards, nothing. Nothing other than the copyright suggests it's a forum.

So meaning, if I install SD to my Forum, all of the other boards will not be there? Ahh, couldn't it be just like a part of the forum?
Just like:that one?

Since, I believe the SD will be useless if its not really connected to the boards or something, because the Forum will be JUST the SD, ? Probably I'm just confused. hehe

Thanks, Arantor..

Cheers,
Achilles

Trekkie101

Its an option to shut down the forum, you can have it like your image suggests too :)

Francis

Quote from: Achilles on January 30, 2010, 10:11:05 AM
Quote from: Arantor on January 30, 2010, 08:38:26 AM

So meaning, if I install SD to my Forum, all of the other boards will not be there? Ahh, couldn't it be just like a part of the forum? Just like:
that one?

Since, I believe the SD will be useless if its not really connected to the boards or something, because the Forum will be JUST the SD, ? Probably I'm just confused. hehe

Thanks, Arantor..

Cheers,
Achilles
Well Achiles, that's if you want to have the helpdesk as standalone. You can choose to make it part of the forum, as a tab too. :)
Quote from: Trekkie101 on January 30, 2010, 10:12:34 AM
Its an option to shut down the forum, you can have it like your image suggests too :)
LIES! It'll be written Helpdesk. :) *hides*

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

*IF* you enable a setting in your administration panel, that will be the case, Achilles, and there will be NO forum what so ever in your site.
But by default, SimpleDesk integrates just like any other mod. Disabling the forum is optional.

Achilles

Ah, alright!! Thanks! Lol. ;)

Thanks, Trekkie101, Francis and Nas for replying. ;P