News:

Loving SimpleDesk? Help us spread the word!

Main Menu

What next for SimpleDesk?

Started by Gruffen, April 01, 2011, 04:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gruffen

Well, as I mentioned elsewhere, there's been a fantastic amount of activity lately in the SVN with me hammering out code for SimpleDesk.

So much so that we're not going to have 1.1, we decided we'd call it SimpleDesk 2.0 instead, in line with the masses of changes under the hook, and thousands and thousands more lines of code.

Keeping it brief because I'm kinda busy :P

Tah Zonemaster

Very nice to hear that guys! :D Good work! :D

~DS~

I need to get myself back on track because I am itched to find bugs because I am hungry. :P   
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

Gruffen

Quote from: Dismal Shadow on April 02, 2011, 12:31:04 PM
I need to get myself back on track because I am itched to find bugs because I am hungry. :P   

There's only one open bug at the moment, and even that's a matter of debate whether it's a bug, a change of functionality or to be left alone.

Most of what's left is features to add, but testing of what's been done is always welcome :)

~DS~

One? I see a tons. Can you point to the issue number so I can get to the point and comment on it?
It's hard to track everything here since I've been gone.

RL is taking a troll, being a baskeball coach, work for a VRS company, setting up a event I host and so on. :(
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

Gruffen

Look at just the open tickets, there's a grand total of 24 on the tracker ;)

http://www.simpledesk.net/community/issue,534.0/ is the only open bug report at present, and as per the last couple of comments, even that's not really a bug.

Spoogs

Yep pretty much all bugs have been squished. I haven't seen a new bug survive 48 hours in the past 2 weeks ;D
534 is definitely leaning towards a functionality change to specify by role who can create custom fields (might not even be a necessary change if no one else agrees).

I accidentally reported that as a bug after spending too much time online one morning instead of watching tv or something :P, got confused after switching between test accounts so many times.

Gruffen

QuoteYep pretty much all bugs have been squished. I haven't seen a new bug survive 48 hours in the past 2 weeks

OM NOM NOM TASTY BUGS

Quote534 is definitely leaning towards a functionality change to specify by role who can create custom fields (might not even be a necessary change if no one else agrees).

Well, while we're here, might as well briefly discuss it. The idea is that you could allow different people to configure different things without necessarily being admins. Like in SMF, you can allow non admins to configure the news (though that has consequences in and of itself if you use raw HTML), you can allow non admins to configure membergroups and other things. With SD, I take the view that until there's enough functionality that's useful to delegate, it probably should be left alone - right now only custom fields is possible to delegate, and canned replies when it's done.

Quotegot confused after switching between test accounts so many times.

My secret for that is to use a different browser for each test account to avoid confusion; I use IE for the test user, Firefox for test staff and Chrome for the admin ;) ;D

Spoogs

I was using different browsers :) just not refreshing when I should :P

I think Custom fields could/should delegable to senior staff that need no other administrative rights. I can see me allowing them to create or edit but not delete.

~DS~

Quote from: Spoogs on April 02, 2011, 01:12:00 PM
Yep pretty much all bugs have been squished. I haven't seen a new bug survive 48 hours in the past 2 weeks ;D
No, it's because there are few those who tested it and those who do not. Expect the unexpected bug once I get around to test it again. :P

Will do this tonight.

Spoogs

By all bugs I meant all reported bugs, there isn't a single bug report that Gruff didn't get on pretty much right away.
Some new features introduced new bugs sure but they were still dealt with right away. I'm not saying we're bug free, but simply as they get reported they get dealt with.

Gruffen

Some of them took a little while to nail down, mind ;) But yeah, that's part of the deal, ultimately: don't go running off at a pace and adding a boatload of new features in and only then try and fix them afterwards, it's usually a mess - so I've been fixing them as they pop up.

As far as testing goes, http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Testing-Done-Right.aspx is worth a read. Most importantly:
QuoteI say "good enough" because no matter how hard you try, a definitive answer is impossible. At best (i.e., with unlimited resources), you can be 99.999...% confident that there will be no defects in production.

It's possible that there are as-yet undiscovered bugs. There are bugs still creeping up in SMF 1.1, and that's nearly 5 years old.

~DS~

I haven't seen any bugs but I really want to break them. :P

I have to say it's quite stable and might be out for 1.1 soon...

Gruffen

There's at least one more feature to be implemented for the next version, mentally there are two features and one enhancement to an existing feature that I'm "definitely" implementing and several others that might be squeezed in.

But the scale of changes, it would be unfair to call the next version 1.1, because it's far bigger and scarier than 1.1 was intended to be.

~DS~

Let's call it 2.0 then. That's one major jump. :P