News:

Looking for a good read? Check out the SimpleDesk Team Blog.

Main Menu

Site downtime

Started by cσσкιє мσηѕтєя, March 20, 2010, 01:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

Today we have experienced a long downtime that lasted for several hours. We do not yet know the cause but it was probably caused by a power failure at the data center. Just as a headsup, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

ccbtimewiz

You guys seriously need better hosting. This downtime is ridiculous. I've never seen a host have so much downtime at such a price.

~DS~

And that's not the first time that's happened...
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

JBlaze

Quote from: Chris on March 20, 2010, 01:25:12 PM
You guys seriously need better hosting. This downtime is ridiculous. I've never seen a host have so much downtime at such a price.
That price is free ;)

ccbtimewiz

Well, the money needs to come from somewhere.

I pay for my own hosting and it's almost never down, so if you're getting a free server it's no wonder you keep having downtime. :(

Douglas

Rather than making assumptions, why not go to the source?

www.solarvps.com/forums
Maint and Network forum

FYI, I noticed SD was down and asked techs to restore ECCS

Again... assumptions and speculation are usually wrong. :D

Excuse typos. Am on iPhone

~DS~

Quote from: Douglas on March 20, 2010, 05:39:49 PM

www.solarvps.com/forums
Maint and Network forum

It makes senses.  :)
Thanks for letting us know.
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

royalduke

www.solarvps.com/forums
Maint and Network forum

Didn't know you worked there.

Douglas

Now that I'm on my desktop...

We had a simple primary IP change for almost all of the VPS Hostnodes, which required a reboot.  On some VPS systems, named (Bind) didn't restart automatically (as was the case with SD).  I noticed it when I tried to access the site this morning and had our techs give Bind a swift kick in the butt.

royalduke:  There's only one other person on our team of 15 that outranks me, and that's the owner.  Official title is VP of Sales.  Unofficial role:  Chief Operations Officer.

Gruffen

Douglas: Thanks for sorting this :) I did try nudging you earlier on IRC but had to go out shortly after.

ccbtimewiz

www.solarvps.com/forums
Maint and Network forum

That does not make any assumptions wrong. The point is the fact it was down at all. The fact it was even scheduled makes it worse. My host almost NEVER goes down, let alone three times in the same month of such.

Perhaps some information about scheduled downtime can be posted here, so we will know when the server is unaccessable?

SleePy

Chris,
I think you are being rude.  I don't think Douglas nor SolarVPS needs to provide us with scheduled downtime information.  That is for the customer to be notified off and handle.  I don't think you can comprehend what has been happening with these ip changes and the amount of work that went in to try and continue to provide services during this big change over for their company.
A couple hours of downtime is nothing really.  Even with 99.99% uptime, a couple hours of down time is very little.  24*365*0.01 = 87.6 hours of downtime.  I don't know what SolarVPS offers for uptime, but I say that is still good.
Jeremy D — Spare-Developer

ccbtimewiz

I'm not talking to Douglas, but rather with the team of this particular site.

If this information is given, then it should be known here.

Not my intent to be rude, I'm just annoyed at the lack of a notification.

SleePy

Well it is expected with all of us volunteers.  We have real life to attend to and can't always be around 24 hours a day.
Jeremy D — Spare-Developer

ccbtimewiz

You don't need to be on 24-7 to make an announcement about scheduled downtime.