News:

Loving SimpleDesk? Help us spread the word!

Main Menu

Re: Who hosts this site ?

Started by Shadow, March 16, 2010, 08:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

remove

tfs

Quote from: smithtr on March 16, 2010, 08:13:40 PM
I have free website.I need to set up free and development to support community. I try help fix on my website. can you help try help me. I hope be you  :-\ I wait for you obseved test. I don't know what is free or paid.

What is your native language smithr?  There are many support boards at SimpleMachines.com with free support in various languages.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

[FailSafe]

From what he posted on SMF he's deaf. Yeah, I don't get it either. :P

tfs

I just looked over the last page of smithtr's posts on SMF.  An intriguing case... and from what little I have read, there's no figuring out what it is that's going on there.  Deaf and apparently can only use English, though English isn't the native language.  Hard to say why that could be.

One thing's for sure though Smithtr, and that is that SimpleDesk.net is for support of SimpleDesk, which has not been released to the public yet.  I suggest you keep on plugging away over at simplemachines.org.  And if possible, have someone help you to write up a synopsis of why you must use the English language when your English is so unconventional.  Something short and sweet that you can put on your forum, with a link in your signature.  People will be more open to help you if they're aware of what has brought you to an apparently rather unique situation as far as your communication needs goes.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

[FailSafe]

~DS~

Not to mention i am deaf as well...yes seriously. He joined my forum as well recently and I have no idea how to deal with him as he's hard to understand. Smithtr, if you are reading this...no offense, but you cannot manage a forum from the looks of it and you had been following me lately on twitter, facebook, SMF, SD, DP. I knew him in Alldeaf forum because I am a member there as well. Many said you need to see a counselor and seek professional help with your depression and Bipolar disorder and I am sure we have told you that many times on our forum.   
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

tfs

I wanted to affirm for myself that the deaf can end up communicating non-verbally as well as anyone else, so I asked my wife about it, who's been a RN for 25 years now, and she confirmed for me that deafness, regardless of when the onset was, is not an impediment to full communicative abilities via written word and sign.  I guess the science of it is far beyond "The Miracle Worker," which is what many of us who have little or no experience with deafness would use as a kind of measuring stick.

Smithtr, you're intriguing, no doubt!  And I commend you for your willingness to open yourself up to the world on the internet.  I'm not sure what other things stand in the way of your communication, but it's easy to assume they are substantial, and I wish you many Blessings for your trying!

DisShad, it's quite a surprise to find out that you're deaf... though of course, here across the internet, hardly anything should be a surprise any more.  :)  Here's where I could post any one of hundreds of funny pics & cartoons I've seen on the subject... but I won't!  You'll just have to imagine us all in our skivvies.  :)

Douglas

I had a whole post typed up and was ready to come down on tfs for not being educated enough about deaf culture.  I'm very glad that I didn't now, after seeing more replies to this thread, and seeing tfs subsequent posts.

Just one interesting link to point out:  http://www.angelfire.com/ia/andycat/ASLWEB/BasicGrammar.html

Perhaps this should be split accordingly and made into its own thread.

~DS~

Thank you, Douglas.
That website will be a great asset for us so members can understand  the ASL structure of deaf people.

And yes this thread should be split as it's way off-topic.
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

tfs

Quote from: Douglas on March 17, 2010, 02:25:56 AM
I had a whole post typed up and was ready to come down on tfs for not being educated enough about deaf culture.  I'm very glad that I didn't now, after seeing more replies to this thread, and seeing tfs subsequent posts.

You've indicated I've been somehow "bad" and then made up for it.  Is there something earlier on in this thread I shouldn't have said?

Douglas

Like I said, tfs, you clarified your first response with your second response... and it became obvious to me that I totally misread your initial reply.  It's a moot point now.  My hackles are laid back down.  ::laughs::

tfs

Quote from: Douglas on March 17, 2010, 01:07:01 PM
Like I said, tfs, you clarified your first response with your second response... and it became obvious to me that I totally misread your initial reply.  It's a moot point now.  My hackles are laid back down.  ::laughs::

Thanks Douglas.  I had no intent to hurt anyone, though I knew I was walking along the edge of a delicate subject.  Part of my makeup is that I go out of my way to smash political correctness boundaries when I can, because PC is turning the whole world into people who are afraid of stepping beyond the invisible boundaries that our "betters" think we should stay within.  The desire to find offense has become second nature with so many of us today that we clam up on any delicate subject for fear of reprisal.  Which is a terrible hindrance to honest communication.  People rarely feel free to say what they want to say or ask, especially around someone who may be deaf or blind or have some other situation which makes them different.

My wife won't even take me to her work functions any more because too often I have asked why there was an elephant in the room, or why the king had no clothes.  :)  She knows now that I have awarded myself diplomatic immunity from the binds of political correctness... and quite frankly, it scares her.  :)

Gruffen

Here's a random fact for you all to consider.

I have a disability, not that you'd ever realise it to look at me... I have no sense of smell. It is in every sense of the word a disability, and there have been times it has been problematic, but I can tell you it's the sort of experience that shapes your view of the world.

Douglas

tfs, I agree... I hate being politically correct, however, the key thing that you have to do is be tactful about it... and that's what I had an issue with.  You did do a bit of a "mea culpa", so that's why I calmed myself down.

FYI, I'm also considered "handicapped", though I detest being viewed that way unless I can work it to my advantage (trust me, I abuse it when it can save me $$, hahaha!).  I'm legally deaf in my left ear, hard of hearing (90% loss) in my right ear... AND legally blind (70% vision in left eye, total loss in right).

Do I let it slow me down?  Hell no.  FYI, you'd probably not even know that I was deaf if you and I talked via the phone.  Again, this is where I was talking about with deaf cultures.  I was raised in a hearing world, I went to a regular school (though I had one class with a specialized teacher), I identify/associate easier with hearing people than I do with deaf people.  When my hearing aid breaks, I literally freak out... because it's not a world that I'm used to or can embrace easily.

Having said that, I understand the deaf culture a lot more than most people... even though I'm shunned from inner circles.  Random factoid:  Did you know that someone like me would never be fully welcomed into the deaf culture?  Deaf people discriminate... probably even moreso than white people did with african americans.  In the deaf world, if you can hear or speak, you're not going to be allowed into the inner sanctums of the deaf world.  Doesn't even matter what your skin color or religious background is... if you can hear, you're out.

tfs

Quote from: Arantor on March 17, 2010, 05:19:56 PM
Here's a random fact for you all to consider.

I have a disability, not that you'd ever realise it to look at me... I have no sense of smell. It is in every sense of the word a disability, and there have been times it has been problematic, but I can tell you it's the sort of experience that shapes your view of the world.

Wow, I couldn't imaging going through life with no sense of smell.  Probably because it's not possible for us to turn off our sense of smell, the way we could close our eyes, or be silent, or plug our ears.  About fifteen years ago, in an effort to understand human nature better, I closed my eyes for about 6 hours, and tried to learn by touch where everything in my house was located.  I actually walked sloooowly around and felt every "border" by hand, which is difficult when you don't want to knock things over and break them.  It was an interesting experiment, and it taught me a few things about being blind.  Of course, all the while I knew that I could open my eyes when I wanted, so the experiment was deeply flawed, but nonetheless I feel like it was enlightening.

This being St. Patrick's day, my wife has a crock pot full of corned beef and cabbage simmering out there in the kitchen... and I've been more and more aware of it all day, because of the wonderful smell.

So now the human nature part of me, that even now looks to shield myself from the slings and arrows of political correctness, is searching for a disability or liability that I can use as a badge of protection for when I might say something stupid one day.  But it's not there.  I've had a blessed life and nothing to say but that I'm thankful to God for the good gifts I've been given... through no particular deservedness of my own.