Topic solved
This topic is marked as solved and as such require no attention unless you want to bump this issue.

Standalone does not remove Forum buttion

Started by live627, April 10, 2010, 08:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

live627

When a portal is installed it creates the Forum button. Once SimpleDesk is installed and Standalone is activated, the Form button is not unset.

Gruffen

No, and that's quite intentional. SD doesn't mess with any actions or buttons outside of the default ones with SMF in standalone mode.

First up, I'm still not entirely sure when you'd use standalone with a portal anyway (since by definition, standalone means *standalone*, no forum bits at all), but really we can't build in support for every mod that might be installed to hide it especially since you might not want to hide it.

Not so much with a portal but with say a download system, or a gallery, you don't want to hide the buttons then. Since we cannot predict all the rules that there might be, I took the view that it's safer to touch nothing.

live627

feline

That must be addressed to the Portal developer ...
The best way is (we do this) to disable the portal complete on SD standalone mode.

Fel

PortaMx has released version 1.4 for SMF 2.0 with revolutionary features, which no other portal has. This is only possible with the PortaMx 'OOP' programming technique and the built in 'SEF' engine.

[SiNaN]

If the portal in question is SimplePortal, changing the Portal Mode to Integration would get rid of Forum button.

tfs

Hopefully we'll come up with a way where the portal can have a Home page and SimpleDesk can have its HelpDesk page, and the forum can be deactivated, allowing a peaceful coexistence in stand-alone mode.  Though I seem to recall seeing Arantor mentioning that he may write a SimpleDesk Home/Portal page himself.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Gruffen

Well, here's the deal from my perspective.

If SD adds support for portals, not only does that implicitly mean it has to support and test every one of the portals (which is a significant overhead that the dev team don't really want to commit to) but that we potentially have to support and test any other modifications that add things to the main menu.

Thus the approach we took was to step back and not touch *any* modifications.

Other than a front page, which we can roll into 1.1, I'm still not really seeing the need for a portal type device when using SD in standalone mode, which is why I'm trying to be attentive here and not just say "pfft" to the lot of it, because standalone mode was intended for use when you're not interested in the forum-y stuff and just want a helpdesk, albeit one that can be bridged to other systems and make use of themes.

Even in standalone mode there are going to be some mods you will want to leave in place, such as download systems, galleries etc, circumstances depending.

If we add support for portals I think we almost have to add in options for those too making the whole standalone thing much more complex and unwieldy than it was ever meant to be.

hadesflames

I agree with Arantor. I can't really imagine having a portal, or any other mod for that matter, installed if I'm planning to make my helpdesk stand alone. The point of having a portal is to display information from the forum in a home page in an elegant way. However, if the forum is deactivated, then it pretty much defeats the purpose of having a portal at all.
*will add something eventually*

tfs

If SimpleDesk ads its own portal-type front-page then I can put anything I like there using SimplePortal anyway via URL filtering.

My intent would be to put information about the help desk, our logo, phone number, hours of operation, rules, links, etc, most likely done by displaying HTML block(s).
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

hadesflames

That actually is a plausible suggestion. Something to think about.
*will add something eventually*

Gruffen

Well, I'm all for putting a front page the admin can customise (and use SP or whatever to override it should it be necessary to do so)

I even asked for more thoughts on the relevant bug tracker item, whether the interface should be bbcode/HTML/PHP enabled and more.

tfs

Quote from: Arantor on April 12, 2010, 06:31:31 PM
Well, I'm all for putting a front page the admin can customise (and use SP or whatever to override it should it be necessary to do so)

SP wouldn't override anything.  But it can place top/bottom/left/right blocks on any page based on the URL.  Basically you're saying "display this block if you see (XYZ) in the URL."  So presumably there'd be SimpleDesk's front page, whatever that ends up being, and if desired the user could place other content there using their portal system.

Quote from: Arantor on April 12, 2010, 06:31:31 PM
I even asked for more thoughts on the relevant bug tracker item, whether the interface should be bbcode/HTML/PHP enabled and more.

I have no real preference for that, other than since I'm not a PHP programmer I'd hope for HTML or bbcode abilities.

[SiNaN]

Quote from: Arantor on April 12, 2010, 11:48:46 AM
.. because standalone mode was intended for use when you're not interested in the forum-y stuff and just want a helpdesk ...

Portal is not a forum-y stuff. :P

Quote from: hadesflames on April 12, 2010, 01:56:57 PM
The point of having a portal is to display information from the forum in a home page in an elegant way.

Not all the time.

Now looking into it, SD can't override SP running on Frontpage mode. So it's just a matter of making your Home button stay when SD is running on standalone mode.

ccbtimewiz

I agree with [SiNaN]. Portals do not always show forum-specific content and should not be considered "forum-y". It really depends on the admin that configures their portal layout.

SimpleDesk has done its job, it's really up to portal developers to unset 'forum' or make a mode for their portal to disable it and only enable on particular sections. As far as I am aware, all portals can disable the front page and have blocks/modules/ezblocks appear in the "forum" so to speak.

I am failing to see a real conflict.