What determines which grid a ticket shows up in if it's viable for two?

Started by tfs, April 08, 2010, 10:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfs

Question: What determines which grid a ticket shows up in if it's viable for two?

This has been bugging me for a while, and I've hoped that the answer would become apparent just by familiarity, but I'm still occasionally wondering.

There's 4 grids in the help desk...

1)  Assigned to Me
2)  New Tickets
3)  Tickets Awaiting Staff Response
4)  Tickets Awaiting User Response

I can think of scenarios when a ticket would technically be eligible to display in more than one grid.  Specifically, grids 1 & 3 and grids 1 & 4.  Is it possible for a ticket to display in more than one grid?  From what I've seen no, but I'd like a definitive answer.  What is the order of precedence that determines which grid a ticket will be displayed in?
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Gruffen

If it appears in 1, it's excluded from the others, by design.

When I first implemented the 'assigned to me' block, it struck me as odd that a ticket could appear there and in other blocks as well.

Other than 'assigned to me', the rules are as follows (at least in 1.0; this may be subject to change in later versions as escalation is introduced)

Ticket appears in assigned block if:
* current user is staff
* ticket is assigned to them, and is blocked from all other places

Ticket appears in new block if:
* ticket has no replies
* user is staff (block is hidden to non staff)

Ticket appears awaiting staff response if:
* if ticket has replies and the last respondent was non staff (or if the ticket starter is actually staff, the last respondent must not be ticket starter), OR
* ticket has no replies, and it's a regular user viewing it (replaces need for 'new' block for regular users)

Ticket appears awaiting user response if:
* ticket has at least one reply
* last respondent was staff (and not the ticket starter if the ticket starter was staff)

I should point out that ticket state is redetermined any time an action causes the ticket to be modified in a way that would affect handling by these rules and is actually stored with the ticket itself rather than being computed every single time it's needed ({db_prefix}helpdesk_tickets.status is the relevant column, attached meanings in SimpleDesk.php pretty much the first lines of code)

tfs

Thanks!  Could you also expand on another question?  When is a "block" visible?  I note that when I'm logged in as admin I see them all four, even if there's nothing in them.  I thought I remembering you turning them/some off if they were empty before, but I can't find the thread.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Gruffen

Block visibility is determined thusly:

Front page
Assigned to me: always visible if you're a staff member, even if empty
New: visible if you're staff and is not empty
Pending with staff: always visible, even if empty
Pending with user: always visible, even if empty

Closed tickets
Closed tickets: always visible even if empty

Recycle bin
Deleted tickets: always visible even if empty
Tickets with deleted replies: always visible

The same one function deals with all blocks everywhere, which is why I listed them all. :)

tfs

OK, that's got me straightened out.  I had one ticket in the new, and the other three blocks were empty and showing.  But it's the new that won't show if it's empty, which is what I just confirmed by assigning that ticket, which made the new block go away.

VeNeX

MultiformeIngegno

RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum - tv)
Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...

...iscriviti al feed di RockCiclopedia dedicato alle ultime news del mondo della musica!

Sordell Media

Is there any reason why a ticket that is pending user comment, and assigned to the current viewer, is displayed in the "assigned to me" block rather than "awaiting user comment" block? It seems to me it'd make it easier for staff to manage their workflow, if tickets awaiting user comment were removed from their "assigned to me" block, so this block only shows tickets actually requiring staff action/comment

Gruffen

Assigned to me overrules everything which seemed logical at the time. Way I see it (since I'm the one who wrote that part) is if it's assigned to you but requiring user comment, you'll be able to see that it's still pending user comment and more likely to chase it up.

Sordell Media

Hmm, that makes sense I guess.. just makes it harder to see the tickets that require immediate action.