News:

Looking for a good read? Check out the SimpleDesk Team Blog.

Main Menu

Topic solved
This topic is marked as solved and as such require no attention unless you want to bump this issue.

move topic to heldesk

Started by profdrdenis, April 15, 2010, 05:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

profdrdenis

when its allow user can move a topic to the helpdesk. This is for me not a nice function.

It is not better to copy a topic to the helpdesk and make a mark in the topic, so user know a copy is in the helpdesk?

I hope my english is ok for understanding.

Gruffen

This would require multiple (quite large) changes to SimpleDesk-TicketTopicMove.php and it's not something we plan to add any time soon, and possibly how every single attachment is handled in SimpleDesk would have to be re-engineered.

profdrdenis

I understand but for me its not a good option that user can move any topic to the helpdesk  :'( better they copy

Gruffen

It's permission based so only those who are allowed to do so can do so...

profdrdenis

its ok, was only an idea to make the next update better  :-X

thanks for listening

Gruffen

Oh, I can see some of the rationale behind it, but it wasn't designed for putting the same question in two places; it was designed for keeping the helpdesk tidy if you're getting questions that aren't really for the helpdesk.

But yeah, it should only be displaying to members who actually have permission that you give them to move tickets around.

tfs

Arantor, is this really as big a deal as you said it is?  Right now you have an option to send a PM to the OP with a link to the ticket.

Hello admin,

Your topic, Created in forum, will move to ticket, has been moved from the forum to the Helpdesk section.
You can find your topic via this link:

http://x/index.php?action=helpdesk;sa=ticket;ticket=13

Thanks

Couldn't the option be to leave the same basic message in the forum in place of the original message?

BTW, the text of that PM seems like it could use cleaning up.  Want me to make a ticket?
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

profdrdenis

the best way is not to move the topic. This makes the forum user confused and the thread is - for example - cut. Better is to copy it with a mark in the topic or anything

Gruffen

On the wording of the ticket, yeah it probably could use clean-up. Many of the language strings probably could use a once-over actually.

Why does it confuse members when their topic is moved, when they get notification of it? That's really the point, to notify them. The entire ticket/thread is kept, all replies, everything is kept exactly as it should be when moving them around, including attachments.

I suppose we could throw a MOVED: type topic in its place for forum -> helpdesk. I really don't like the idea in either direction though especially not from the helpdesk back to the forum.

Here's the problem. Creating a new post is fine, it's absolutely trivial (even a MOVED type topic is trivial to create), the problem is attachments. Attachments cannot, and MUST not, be attached to both a ticket and a forum post at the same time otherwise Bad Things can happen (like them subsequently becoming unavailable on a permanent basis later).

When you move them around, the system does all the tracking behind the scenes of it - the attachments system is by far the most complex part of SimpleDesk right now because of all the tracking it has to do to not lose them.

tfs

Quote from: Arantor on April 15, 2010, 03:03:04 PM
On the wording of the ticket, yeah it probably could use clean-up. Many of the language strings probably could use a once-over actually.

I'll look into some of that here.

Why does it confuse members when their topic is moved, when they get notification of it? That's really the point, to notify them. The entire ticket/thread is kept, all replies, everything is kept exactly as it should be when moving them around, including attachments.

I guess for the OP who got the notice it's fine, but other users who may have commented on the thread would not be able to tell if it was deleted or moved.  The standard SMF method of a locked MOVED: thread seems like it would be a nice option.

I suppose we could throw a MOVED: type topic in its place for forum -> helpdesk. I really don't like the idea in either direction though especially not from the helpdesk back to the forum.

Yeah, I can see your hesitation regarding leaving something like that in the helpdesk.  Presumably the process would involve closing the ticket, but then that raises the situation where the ticket could be reopened.  And should the ticket be "stripped" of its replies when it's moved to the forum?  I think yes.

Forum to HD:
Create locked MOVED: thread and literally move the thread to the help desk, lock, stock and barrel.

HD to forum:
Create CLOSED ticket with no replies, pointing towards the forum thread, and literally move the ticket to the forum, including attachments.  Make sure that help desk logs have enough info to find who did what.

Here's the problem. Creating a new post is fine, it's absolutely trivial (even a MOVED type topic is trivial to create), the problem is attachments. Attachments cannot, and MUST not, be attached to both a ticket and a forum post at the same time otherwise Bad Things can happen (like them subsequently becoming unavailable on a permanent basis later).

When you move them around, the system does all the tracking behind the scenes of it - the attachments system is by far the most complex part of SimpleDesk right now because of all the tracking it has to do to not lose them.

I don't think there's any question that the attachments are to be moved.  The OP of this particular thread, I think, was just looking to leave a MOVED: thread behind in the forum, to which I think you're amenable.  The question that raises though is the opposite direction move, which could just leave a specially crafted CLOSED ticket similar to a MOVED: thread, along with the already optional PM to the OP.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Gruffen

The thing about a CLOSED thread is that while a MOVED topic will still be visible, a CLOSED ticket might not be if users don't have the ability to resolve their own tickets (which, while weird, is entirely possible)

tfs

If the user isn't allowed to view the help desk recycle bin, well, that's the admin's decision, and is why the current option of a PM notice is still a viable additional option.

Gruffen

No, not the recycle bin; the closed tickets, but yeah true enough.

I'll see about this tomorrow when I'm in a better mood.

tfs

Quote from: Arantor on April 15, 2010, 05:58:19 PM
No, not the recycle bin; the closed tickets, but yeah true enough.

Whoops, my slip up.  Closed tickets.

Quote from: Arantor on April 15, 2010, 05:58:19 PM
I'll see about this tomorrow when I'm in a better mood.

Yeah, for a guy who's on vacation you sure do spend lots of time here.  :)

You should go think up a bunch of naughty ticket names and send them to yourself.   :P

Gruffen

In either case, should the MOVED or CLOSED thread/ticket text be customisable?

In any case part of why I've been resistant to it is that I don't really like the idea of is that if a thread of mine is moved to the helpdesk, that others will have the link to it - even though they won't be able to see it (in many cases)

Example case: a thread moved from SM's Charter boards into the helpdesk, there'd be a MOVED thread behind.

It does to a point spoil the notion of privacy on tickets (IMO one of the best features about a helpdesk is the illusion that you're the only person they're dealing with, even though it's clearly not true)