News:

Loving SimpleDesk? Help us spread the word!

Main Menu

Inline modify category fields on ticket

Started by Spoogs, May 19, 2011, 12:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoogs

Ability to change categories without having to edit tickets. Also if the category is changed in a reply it should update the category on ticket as well.

Oh crap more custom field stuff
Spoogs runs and hides

Edit... maybe the same could apply to prefixes that are select/radio/multi-select as well

Gruffen

Shouldn't really be able to set the category in a reply really, ditto for prefixes. Perhaps it could be made a ticket only thing.

Making it selectable from dropdown, very definitely next version.

Spoogs

I'm sure, most will have those as ticket only... no real need to have prefix editable in replies but being able to edit the category from replies isn't a bad thing (only that it doesn't update the category on ticket).

Gruffen

I see that causing so many problems in the long run it isn't funny :/

Spoogs

What kinds of problems?

If inline modifying it is available there'd be no sense it editing on reply anyway.
(I just happen to be a stickler for my staff modifying anything they dont have to modify, heck the reason I asked for 'edit history' as a plugin is because of some former issues we had where my moderator edited a post specifically to remove data that violated our policy and the users started lying that the moderator edited other things, for posts, niko's post history helped me stay on top of that and even found 1 or 2 cases where the moderator did go over board.) So in short I'm all for anything that allows my staff to do their job without having to edit posts directly and as such if they have to edit a post I'd like to see what was edited in the event of a discrepancy.

Gruffen

Principally, that you'd have to do some serious footwork to change how fields are handled, because essentially you're saying, if it's a field for a reply, save it as such, unless it's a specific type of field, in which case you have to delete this one row, and modify another.

Inline modifying is fine, it's an atomic operation on the field's value, but doing one operation and having it essentially do something else... it risks a whole bunch of inconsistencies, especially since if I change a field in a reply, I expect it to affect that reply, not the ticket as a whole.

I can see the benefit of making it alterable inline, much as PT does. Doing a ticket level change off a reply is fairly voodoo though it already has to happen in some cases, it just complicates it a lot.

Spoogs

I see... inline modify at ticket level will do just fine really ;)