[Wont Fix] Split/merge ticket

Started by Arantor, February 26, 2010, 04:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

This is something we don't have in 1.0 that in hindsight possibly should have been added, but I'm really keen that we should put this in 1.1.

Gruffen

Need to double check but I think I implemented the choice.

Gruffen

Yup, definitely going to put this one in.

Gruffen

Actually, I'm going to pull this out.

Split ticket isn't overly useful the way it's implemented, merge ticket won't be any more useful - either way where you have to keep the ticket starter set the same way, it just ends up being mostly useless. So this can go to future, because it needs more thinking in it.

Spoogs

I was gonna wait til it's implemented and test it out before adding to it...
Honestly I was confused as to why a split would only be possible if the ticket owner is the same as the author of the reply being split.
My original thought was wherever a split occurs the author of the split post becomes the new ticket's author, on merge the author of the first ticket (date and time) remains the ticket author.

Take sm.org for example it's very likely that a user would see a support topic and think hey I'm having a similar issue and post in the existing thread opposed to starting their own... most likely it's the new poster's reply that would be split off.

Now lets take a bugtracker situation... there's a ticket about a feature and during the discussion someone besides the ticket author adds some info that better off as its own ticket, you'd want to split that off to properly track it.

JMO

Gruffen

Yes, in a bug tracker, that works fine - but in a help desk, it fails at the first hurdle because the ticket starter now can't see all of their ticket, and generally, you wouldn't have it diverging like it does in a forum.

Spoogs

Ah, now I see the logic behind it
But even so, only merge would be affected, correct?

SleePy

If you merge a ticket, then who is the ticket starter?

I see the problem you are getting at Gruffen.  I don't think there is any way logically to resolve this until the point in the future when we allow group/chlid accounts.  Not sure if that could even allow it so we would have to set things up to allow for multiple ticket starters/multiple access to the ticket.
This is really something that needs to be saved for the next version because all of that requires rethinking our authorization model again (not authentication!)
Jeremy D — Spare-Developer

Gruffen

Really controversial change coming up...

Because of the level of change that will be required in the future for this to be successful (in light of SleePy's comment about multi-user access etc.), I'm actually going to remove what code there is for this entirely because right now it's absolutely dead weight, and even when it does re-emerge, it'll be quite different anyway.