News:

Loving SimpleDesk? Help us spread the word!

Main Menu

Auto Assign Permission/Position to New User

Started by ledude, July 01, 2013, 07:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ledude

Hi all.  Newbie question.  Is there a way to automatically assign New User who register and confirm themselves to Regular user other than NewBie?  That way they can open up the ticket themselves without us having to manually assign to it.  I'm sure there's a way to do that since it's working on this site.  :-)  Please help?  Thank you...

Spoogs

All newly registered members are automatically in the regular members group unless you are using a mod to do otherwise. Newbie is a post count group and has no effect in the help-desk. SimpleDesk is not installed here so I'm not sure what you mean by its working here.

Visit the permissions section in SimpleDesk and set the permissions the way you want them.

venguard223

I think he's assuming the bug tracker is SimpleDesk (it's not, though I always wanted to make the transition)

Registered Members is also one of the craziest setups in SMF itself. You can assign a role within the helpdesk to the registered members group quite happily (i.e. tying registered members to a user role). Basically, any user which doesn't have a 'primary group' set is in the Registered Members group.

I should add, there was never a technical reason why post counts were excluded, it was a conscious logical decision not a technical one; I never saw any real need to tie it to post counts when it should really be about conventional groups. But yes, you can do it for registered members easily enough in the permissions area, I made sure it was an option and use it that way on a site myself.

ledude

Thanks.  I didn't change anything but for whatever reason None of the newly self registered user is assigned to Regular Member.   When I opened the user under their Account Setting >Modify Profile, the Primary Membergroups were left empty.   I have to manually assigned the new user in the setting I mentioned to a Regular Member.  And since I have already configured simpledesk role for the helpdesk user associated with the Regular Member, then they can see the helpdesk.  Very strange.  And if Newbie is a post count group and shown as position, why after I changed the Primary Membergroup to Regular Member, the position also changed from NewBie to Regular Member.  So I'm guessing either this is a bug or there's something wrong with my installation (Which I doubt).  Unless I'm missing the setting somewhere.  Please advise?

venguard223

QuoteI didn't change anything but for whatever reason None of the newly self registered user is assigned to Regular Member.   When I opened the user under their Account Setting >Modify Profile, the Primary Membergroups were left empty

Like I said, crazy setup. If there is no other primary group, they're automatically in the Registered Members group, but since it's not a 'real' group, it doesn't tell you as such. Use THAT group, not the one you keep adding people to.

QuoteSo I'm guessing either this is a bug or there's something wrong with my installation (Which I doubt).  Unless I'm missing the setting somewhere.  Please advise?

No bug, just you're not using SMF how the designers intended. Every user physically MUST be in two groups at any one time. It simply isn't possible for a user to not be in at least two groups, their post count group and a primary group. If no primary group is given, an internal Registered Members group is used. But if there's no primary group, the group shown up in profiles etc. is the post count group instead.

You don't need to add people to a group, nor do you need to fuss with post counts, just leave people without having a primary group attached and tie their role to the Registered Members group, it should even be the first one on the list in the permissions areas (both SMF and SimpleDesk's)

ledude

Thanks Venguard.

I think I got what you are saying.  One more question that I'm a bit confused on.  How do I decide a primary group and how to configure it?  I know how to attached and tie the role just couldn't figure out how to pick and configure a primary group.  Please advise?  Many thanks....

venguard223

Setting the primary group is for the user itself in the user profile, go to the account settings for a user, and you'll see what that user's primary group is.

ledude

Thanks Venguard.

I think the right question I should ask is, how do I setup/configure the SMF/Simpledesk so that when new user registered themselves and have already verified their registration, they are able to get the regular member association right away rather than empty membership (Which is what I currently have challenged with).  Please advise?

venguard223

I already explained this.

1. Stop adding users to a new group when they register. Just leave it alone.

2. Whatever role you created for users in the helpdesk (as opposed to staff), add the Registered Members group to that role, it should be the first on the list, as per http://www.simpledesk.net/community/index.php?topic=709.0 - last screenshot in the first post, the first group is the registered members group. Any user who just registers will be in that group (even though it will not show it on posts, this is intentional in SMF, but they WILL be in that group)

ledude

You are awesome.  Thanks Venguard.  It now works.  A bit confusing at the beginning since I'm used to other helpdesk system.  Once I got the hang of the lingo, everything else is working like a champ.  Thanks again.