[Feedback] Attachments

Started by Gruffen, April 08, 2010, 06:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gruffen

One of the things we realised a little bit late in the 1.0 development cycle is that attachments, while functional, "isn't very pretty". I've even heard one person call them "downright ugly".

Personally I don't see the problem, it's functional, lean and more than in keeping with SD's style and structure, but I'd like to open the question up.

If you don't like it, what don't you like? How would you have it instead?

Do you like it as it is?

All comments are welcome and we'll do what we can about enhancing it going into 1.1 for you :)

~DS~

I would like the same way SMF does with thumbnail preview either popup or not.
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

tfs

I like lean and mean, though a very small graphical icon indicating file-type might not be a bad idea.  No bigger than a standard smiley, and it would give some context to where the name of one file attachment ends and the next begins... for attached to individual replies mode.

For attached to ticket mode, it already looks pretty good, but it wouldn't hurt I think to also put a small icon on those as well.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Gruffen

DS: For 'in ticket' mode, 'in replies' mode, or both? How big should thumbnails be?

tfs: I think that's workable without too much effort. I think we can even be generous and have a nice variety of images too, not just paperclip type stuff.

~DS~

Quote from: Arantor on April 08, 2010, 07:13:36 PM
DS: For 'in ticket' mode, 'in replies' mode, or both? How big should thumbnails be?

tfs: I think that's workable without too much effort. I think we can even be generous and have a nice variety of images too, not just paperclip type stuff.
For ticket mode, it should remain as it is but it can detect image and popup like smileys does but I doubt anyone have popup blocker(or embed image with mouse over on it if it's image, if it's not image nothing happen.) For replies mode it be simliar to SMF build in which detect image as well and should be standard size if click on image to zoom it.
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

Gruffen

Would you have that in addition to or in place of a small icon to represent what it was?

~DS~

Quote from: Arantor on April 08, 2010, 07:44:08 PM
Would you have that in addition to or in place of a small icon to represent what it was?
Whatever you see is best, would like to see what others think about this as well.

Gruffen

That's what I'm asking. I don't really have much of a preference here.

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

Having small icons for the file types sounds like a good idea - Never thought of it my self.
And I do want to include thumbnails as soon as possible (We wanted to have them in 1.0 but it turned out to be more work than we thought).

Gruffen

For those wondering why it's a lot of work, SMF creates the thumbnail when you upload the file - but it ALSO does have a manual create option if you have subsequently altered or deleted the thumbnail and you load the ticket again. It's certainly something we can implement but before I add the hundreds of lines of code I want to be sure we're doing it because it's actually a good idea.

FWIW what I'd probably do is have the thumbnail pop out into the master one using Highslide or similar assuming we go down that route.

Small icons is something we can definitely squeeze in and see how it turns out.

Gruffen

OK, here's what I've got for images by attachments. 'with replies' mode now looks a little cluttered, but that's something we can work on soon enough.

tfs

Those look just fine to me.  Both modes.  Improvements would likely involve changing the whole arrangement, and that would be hit and miss as to whether or not you're going to get it to look better than what it is.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Gruffen

Well, replies mode needs a little more spacing in the replies IMO, but that's it from me for now.

Yagiz

Making attachments on replies horizantaly and 4 attachments in a row should be better :)

MultiformeIngegno

Looks really really cool!!!! 8) :D
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum - tv)
Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...

...iscriviti al feed di RockCiclopedia dedicato alle ultime news del mondo della musica!