Replace/add to help templates

Started by Arantor, January 05, 2010, 05:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Related to http://www.simpledesk.net/forum/index.php?issue=1.0

The help tab would be left in such a mode however it would need to be diverted to a manual on SD instead of SMF.

Bᵃ

I would actually like to see this changed to be a link from the help section to a manual here on SD. I have a feeling the help section as it currently exists will soon be scrapped anyways. I'd rather not spend a lot of time adding a section to it if the whole thing is going to be ditched soon after.

Conquer Club - Free Global Domination Game
Think the board game Risk on steroids!

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

I tend to agree.
Perhaps a '(?) Help' link on the top of the helpdesk that opens a JS popup with some text and a link to a manual over here? For non-JS users, have a custom page with that text and link.

Spoogs

That does sound like the best option, I originally agreed with B when i 1st read this topic.

Spoogs

Can this be changed to a future version until someone takes it on?
As SD evolves so would the manual anyway... its not a must have at the moment IMO I could be wrong of course

Gruffen

Well, SMF's help area is now gone, so that leaves the question open again about what we do with this, but a guide here rather than in SD itself would be better given how SMF has changed.

Spoogs

This I actually thought about after SMF's change... I don't really like the new format so much but I do get that it's much easier to maintain and streamline the help docs that way, so I thinking opening in a new tab/window to the docs here would be best. The popup isnt a bad idea though it has that 1 extra click.. {click-popup, click-go to SD}

Gruffen

I should note how much discussion there was about SMF doing it, and it wasn't entirely well received - on the theory that mods might, for example, extend the help area, except that none ever did, and I think we would have been one of the first, if not actually the first, to expand the help section with information.

What it needs, though, is someone to actually sit and write said content, which was the problem in the first place - but if that's going to be the case, it really needs more of the team to make a decision about whether they're going to do that or not. Either way, I'm thinking this issue should be closed and discussion moved to the team boards about how to approach it, since either way it's not going to directly expand SMF's help area.

Spoogs

I'm willing to help with the helps docs whichever way we decide to go.

tfs

High quality technical writing is an art. 
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Spoogs

True... its something I can do if I choose to (though most times I choose not to :P )

Gruffen

Quote from: tfs link=issue=2.com3486#com3486 date=1300672181
High quality technical writing is an art.

No argument from me. My branch of tech writing usually covers the nuts and bolts of implementation rather than making it understandable for users ;)

tfs

I knew a few people who wrote that stuff back in the 80's and 90's, when even a new mouse would come with a 200 page technical manual.  :)  The entire industry has since died.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Gruffen

The reason it's died is because computing is no longer the province of technical people as it was back then; it's now firmly in the hands of the 'common man', which means technical writing just goes over their head (or they think it does, anyway)

As time goes on, I sort of wonder what the point is in writing documentation, actually. I look at my iPad and I realise that apps don't contain much in the way of help files or documentation because they drop you straight in, but sufficient care was given to the UI/UX that it's immediately usable and doesn't need much explanation - the same is true of SMF in general (most of the support topics are not fundamental 'how do I use it' type topics, even for advanced things, but for technical support and how to configure it in specific ways)

I get the feeling that SD is in a similar boat, actually.

Spoogs

Which is why I'm willing to help... I doubt it needs to be too technical especially from a user standpoint and admin just needs to wrap their head around setting it up right.

Gruffen

Well, the default settings are reasonably sane and suitable for a 'typical' installation, and while it's not necessarily a work of UI/UX genius, it is certainly less cumbersome than many systems I've seen and used. The biggest thing I see being troublesome to explain is private tickets.

What would be good is to produce an outline of the documents needed and maybe we can put something together once we have a framework of what's needed?