News:

Loving SimpleDesk? Help us spread the word!

Main Menu

Replace/add to help templates

Started by Arantor, January 05, 2010, 05:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Related to http://www.simpledesk.net/forum/index.php?issue=1.0

The help tab would be left in such a mode however it would need to be diverted to a manual on SD instead of SMF.

Bᵃ

When NOT in helpdesk-only mode, it would be easy enough to add a new area to the help section for SD, even if it was just to point them to the manual on SD.

Conquer Club - Free Global Domination Game
Think the board game Risk on steroids!

Arantor

*nods* Whatever works, I don't really mind, as long as we do something with it.

Arantor

So, $64,000 question. Are we building a help area into SMF or pointing them somewhere here?

Either way a hook has to be bolted into SMF somewhere.

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

I think we should build it into SMF.

Arantor

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

So, basically, if the helpdesk is enabled, it adds a section to the Help tab. If it's in standalone, it removes all other help sections.
Correct?

What about personal messages? Should the help section for those be left intact in standalone mode if they're not disabled?

We'll also need content for these pages.

Arantor

QuoteSo, basically, if the helpdesk is enabled, it adds a section to the Help tab. If it's in standalone, it removes all other help sections.

I'd say so. Note that if bbcode is still enabled, standalone shouldn't nuke that either, ditto for smileys.

What about personal messages? Should the help section for those be left intact in standalone mode if they're not disabled?

Yes - if the function is still enabled, leave the help in.

Arantor

See also topic in Doc Team's board about this.

Arantor

Note there's two issues here, one for writing the content and one for writing the code that drives it.

I'd also be in favour of tweaking the content to suit permissions and configuration if possible, e.g. no need to show the recycle bin notes to folks who don't have permission to see it.

Arantor

OK, IDEAL question time.

You guys have been using the helpdesk by now. What didn't make *immediate* sense to you?

What needs more explanation? What did you need help with? What about your users?

These are the things that need help areas on. Once we have a list of what actually needs to be covered, we can start writing.

tfs

I've always felt that the main screen is rather... well, if not confusing, at least intimidating to new users.  I found myself wondering what the (up to) 4 different grids were for, and what would happen to a ticket that could theoretically show up in more than one grid.

The ticket itself is pretty good, though I still think the "Reply with quote" and "Reply with ticket" buttons are misplaced.

The meaning of a "private" ticket should be spelled out in no uncertain terms.

When first installed, and there's no "Roles" created, the purpose of the role templates could be more obvious.

Much of this isn't necessarily things that need a help screen... I'm just jotting down what pops into my head.  :)
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Arantor

QuoteI've always felt that the main screen is rather... well, if not confusing, at least intimidating to new users.  I found myself wondering what the (up to) 4 different grids were for, and what would happen to a ticket that could theoretically show up in more than one grid.

Would it be better to hide more of the areas then?

Regular users should only see 2 blocks (with staff/with user), staff up to 4 (assigned to me/new/with staff/with user)

QuoteThe ticket itself is pretty good, though I still think the "Reply with quote" and "Reply with ticket" buttons are misplaced.

I don't remember you saying about them being moved though...

QuoteThe meaning of a "private" ticket should be spelled out in no uncertain terms.

Smart mode sort of deals with that. It would be relatively trivial to build lists of who can see what.

QuoteWhen first installed, and there's no "Roles" created, the purpose of the role templates could be more obvious.

I actually thought that was one of the more obvious things about it, but I'm not sure what else you could do with it...

tfs

Quote from: Arantor link=issue=2.com2823#com2823 date=1276559097
QuoteI've always felt that the main screen is rather... well, if not confusing, at least intimidating to new users.  I found myself wondering what the (up to) 4 different grids were for, and what would happen to a ticket that could theoretically show up in more than one grid.

Would it be better to hide more of the areas then?

What I wish is that the different grids could be given a subtle color coding to help distinguish them from each other.  I know in the paradigm of SMF, and themes, that's not necessarily possible.  (User defined?) 

QuoteThe ticket itself is pretty good, though I still think the "Reply with quote" and "Reply with ticket" buttons are misplaced.

I don't remember you saying about them being moved though...

It came up a long while back, and I could sense that there was strong feelings about their placement, so I dropped it.

QuoteThe meaning of a "private" ticket should be spelled out in no uncertain terms.

Smart mode sort of deals with that. It would be relatively trivial to build lists of who can see what.

On that one I'm talking more about the help files, or how-to files... or FAQ.  There should be a section that spells out why it is the way it is.

QuoteWhen first installed, and there's no "Roles" created, the purpose of the role templates could be more obvious.

I actually thought that was one of the more obvious things about it, but I'm not sure what else you could do with it...

Perhaps just some big angry looking text that only displays when there's no roles, saying something like "There are no roles created yet.  Use one of the three templates above to create your first Permissions Role!"
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Arantor

QuoteWhat I wish is that the different grids could be given a subtle color coding to help distinguish them from each other.  I know in the paradigm of SMF, and themes, that's not necessarily possible.  (User defined?) 

Well, that's one of the fine lines we have to walk; either we make it customisable and more flexible, or we make it fit with the forum theme that's in use. We talked about this a lot in the early days and came to the conclusion to make it use the same basic code as the Curve theme so other themes would fit in more or less seamlessly; amongst other things that's a major reduction in support requests ;)

QuoteOn that one I'm talking more about the help files, or how-to files... or FAQ.  There should be a section that spells out why it is the way it is.

Agreed. That's ultimately what this is about.

QuotePerhaps just some big angry looking text that only displays when there's no roles, saying something like "There are no roles created yet.  Use one of the three templates above to create your first Permissions Role!"

That's not particularly hard to implement.