News:

Loving SimpleDesk? Help us spread the word!

Main Menu

How to use the Front Page Plugin?

Started by bea, July 31, 2011, 05:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bea

I activated the Front Page plugin, but I can't see any change on my site.
Couldn't find documentation about it, explanation...how to use it...
What is it supposed to do?
Could this feature be use to add a block in AdK Portal?

Spoogs

After you activate the plugin, the settings for the frontpage is added to SimpleDesk's ACP under the options tab. You must create a frontpage for it to be visible.

The plugin adds a frontpage for your helpdesk.... No it cannot create a portal block for any portal.

tfs

As Spoogs said, you must activate the plugin and then put something in the front page for it to activate.  I use SimplePortal, and I have SimplePortal actually generate the front page.  I do this by activating SimpleDesk's frontpage, and then in the content of the front page I place a simple BBCode value that results in an invisible front page.  In my case ... I use this...

[center] [/center]

It's a simple center open/close code with a space between.  There's likely to be any number of things that can be put there, with the end result of a blank front page.  Then I use my portal to generate the actual front page.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Spoogs

That's a rather interesting approach... Could you not have created the same front page using SD's front page.. meaning if it is a custom html/bbc/php page couldn't SD handle that (I'm just curious)?

tfs

I do it with SimplePortal because it's easier to put a rounded border around that part of the page.  And there's a few other things about it being done with SP that gives me flexibility.  I'm still not sure I'm going to have it on my final version though because SimplePortal puts a copyright/advertizement on every page, which I'm not too thrilled about.  I'll probably uninstall SP because of that, but haven't decided yet.

On a hobby site or general forum, I don't care much about that advertizement, but on a professional help desk it looks... er... unprofessional.  :)

Login at sd2.patsong.com and take a look.

u: test1
p: test1
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Gruffen

Rounded border?

Code (Example with bbcode) Select
[html]<span class="upperframe"><span></span></span>
<div class="roundframe">[/html]

content goes here in bbc

[html]</div>
<span class="lowerframe"><span></span></span>[/html]

Code (Example with only raw HTML) Select
[html]<span class="upperframe"><span></span></span>
<div class="roundframe">

content goes here

</div>
<span class="lowerframe"><span></span></span>[/html]

Note that only forum administrators can use the html bbcode as normal, this is a security measure.

tfs

Thanks Gruff!  That worked great.  I must say, I've learned an awful lot from you over the last 18 months.  I really do appreciate it.