Blog post / interview

Started by Gruffen, April 16, 2010, 11:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gruffen

One of the things I promised I'd do once we got to 1.0 was write a blog post about the journey we had getting there, including the bits that might not have gone so well.

What I'd like to do is open the scope of that a little. Now, I'm going to be semi-away from a computer over the next week or so, starting tomorrow, and during that time I'd like to open the floor to questions from the community about SimpleDesk, past, present, future, the team and so on.

I can't vouch for anyone else, but I'll do my best to answer any questions that come up as fully and honestly as possible. Of course if the question is addressed to the team as a whole, I'll see what I can do about prodding everyone to answer, but I can't promise answers from anyone other than me. And as far as possible, it's no holds barred (don't post silly questions like 'what's the administration password, obviously), so you can ask whatever - I'll try to be as honest and open about the answers as I can.

If you'd rather, please feel free to post the question to me via PM, and I'll post the question and answer in the thread, but I'll do so without listing who asked me.

With that... let the questions roll.

Ha²

Is SimpleDesk owned by the same international corporation that created SimplePortal, SimpleDownload, and SimpleSEF?
Teh guy dat helps u

[FailSafe]

What happened to JBlaze and Nas? It seems like they just became disinterested with the project, and now you're the only one left. Hell, what happened to SleePy/Trekkie too?

What is the state of things now (since there are a couple of people On Hiatus) on development?

Are there any plans to add anymore developers?

What is the status on the Translator tool for the site?

Any there any more planned updates to the site that is going to happen? (Like any additions to any requestable membergroups or something?)

Is there any plan to have SD on this site to help with support?

It seems to me like interest in this project has started to wane. Are there any plans to bring it back up or are you just going to let progression flow naturally and hope that that will garner attention back again?

Arantor, do you plan to have leads for other teams for SD?

Any progress on Documentation?

I know you will never have Simpledesk as a paid mod, but what about the idea of paid add-ons?

Will the SimpleDesk Staff open an online orphanage for kitties, and if so can I have one? Pretty please? ;)

Alright, well I think that I ran out of questions to ask. ;D

Gruffen

Some great questions there - I'll answer all these properly when I'm back, but the one I really wanted to pick up on right here was about waning interest.

It isn't. http://www.simpledesk.net/development/stats/ shows things are active (and it's kept up to date every time we commit something to SVN). We've already added one of the main 1.1 features, and laid the framework down for several others already as well as minor enhancements since 1.0. 1.1 is a significant release, in many ways at least as significant as 1.0; while 1.0 was usable, 1.1 adds most of the significant extra things, like ticket fields, ticket relationships and email notifications.

[FailSafe]

Great! Glad to hear that things have been progressing. :) But I should have made myself clearer. I meant user interest in the project, not developer interest. ;)

Gruffen

Indeed, that's another question entirely. Again... I'll answer that when I'm back.

[FailSafe]

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

[SiNaN]

Quote from: Ha² on April 16, 2010, 08:42:46 PM
Is SimpleDesk owned by the same international corporation that created SimplePortal, SimpleDownload, and SimpleSEF?

Hmmm, is there such a corporation?

Gruffen

* Arantor thinks Ha2 was joking and trying to be clever.

Gruffen

OK, last call for questions before I start writing this.

[FailSafe]

How long are we waiting, just wondering?

Gruffen

I've written about 60% of it.

MultiformeIngegno

RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum - tv)
Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...

...iscriviti al feed di RockCiclopedia dedicato alle ultime news del mondo della musica!