[Request] Expiring Stickies

Started by Spoogs, May 28, 2011, 11:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoogs

If any is interested or has the time, I'd like a mod that puts an expiration on stickies.

How this should function is... when the sticky option is clicked, we are presented with 2 options
- Remove sticky in X days (based on date topic was first sticked)
- Do not automatically remove sticky (this option of course is SMF's default of manually removing them)

Does not have to be heavily permissions driven, permission to sticky should be enough allow the user to set the expiration as well.
On the other hand, permission to to modify the expiration should be necessary.
- Allowed to modify own/any should suffice

How modifying should function... when the unsticky option is clicked user is presented with the options
- Edit number of days
- Check box to not automatically remove sticky
- Check box to remove sticky now.

As silly as this part sounds, a Sticky Log would be nice so admin can check from time to time to see (mainly) if perma-stickies are warranted. The log should display whether or not sticky is set to expire, those that are set to expire would be nice if the remaining time was displayed.

Another silly request - A few settings would be nice (probably in lieu of permissions or in addition to)
- Require certain membergroups to set an expiration (no perma-stickies from these groups)
  *With that admin sets max number of days these groups can set for expiration (even if the original expiration was edited)
  *Also option to prevent a topic from being stickied more than once (only those who can perma sticky may override this)

Seeking for 2.0 RC5+
Yes I'm able to buy you lunch if you're interested ;D
At minimum if this gets made I'd love to see it as an official small mod here.

Why do I want this...
I was doing some cleanup on 2 sites and I realized that there are quite a few topics that has been stickied way beyond their usefulness. Myself in particular once I sticky a topic I tend to forget about it (I am after all aware of it's content :P) unless it's an ongoing discussion where I'm replying quite often, even so after my interest in the topic dies I tend to forget about it. I have some stickies that were news topics (more like quick announcements), that really only were needed for a day or 2 max, but here I am 6+ months later just realizing there were still stickied.

Do I need all the options expressed above... no, just the ones that seems logical to anyone who wants to give it a shot.

Thanks,
Spoogs

~DS~

So it's a mod request rather than helpdesk related? :P
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

Spoogs

Yep that's why I stuck it on the Small Mod Support board ;)