Topic solved
This topic is marked as solved and as such require no attention unless you want to bump this issue.

Assignment of tickets

Started by jaccion, April 07, 2010, 08:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaccion

Hi, just stumbled across SimpleDesk while on smf forum and this is just awesome.
Have just installed it and checking it out now.

Was wondering if there was any way to sort of reverse the functionality of the tickets. What i want to do is be able to assign a ticket to the members (my students in this case- a homework task) and then be able to mark it off as complete. At the moment it seems i can assign a ticket to staff, so i was thinking if i promote all students to staff, and then restrict their ability to see anything but their own tickets, and have me be the senior staff so i can see everything, would that be how the staff works, and would it affect group permissions anywhere else in the boards?

thanks, this is looking like an awesome addition

tfs

I don't think it could be done like that currently.  To be included in the drop down list of people that can be assigned to a ticket you must be...

A: A forum administrator
or
B: a member of a group with the following TWO permissions
View helpdesk tickets - Any tickets: = Yes
Treat this user group as helpdesk staff: = Yes

Thus, by making your students only able to see their own tickets, it would remove them from eligibility to be assigned to a ticket as staff.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

jaccion

Thanks for such a prompt reply. I have just been playing with the groups and permissions, and it looks like you are right.  This is such a cool addition to the forum, just awesome!!

I promoted the group students to staff (was nice you could do the entire group en masse  ;D ), but I don't want to set the permissions to see all tickets, due to privacy reasons. This mod is so close to perfect for what I want... almost.

Is there any chance of getting that kind of layering in the permission for a certain level of staff  to see only their tickets assigned? Kinda similar to a board moderator, who has a certain level of control over specific boards, but not carte blanch?

thanks

tfs

There was some discussion of it earlier today, and Arantor posted some snippets that may be useful to you.  I'm sure some hack could be arranged.  Let me go look....
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Gruffen

Hmm. Assignment implicitly has a requirement of being able to see all tickets; you can only assign a ticket to users if they can see all tickets.

That said, if you create it with the permissions you're talking about so staff can only see their own tickets and you as admin able to see them all, the only change you should need is to change one line in SimpleDesk-Assign.php

// can they actually see said ticket
$visible = shd_members_allowed_to('shd_view_ticket_any');

That line enforces that people you assign to can see 'any' ticket not just their own, which is the quickest way of ascertaining the main people who can see a ticket. Change the _any to _own and it then ends up as people who can see their own tickets. The other requirement of them being staff is not a major issue in the scheme of things here and should not pose an issue since it's still overall controlled by what visibility permissions you assign.

This isn't something I'd be inclined to make an option, it seems to run counter to how you'd set a helpdesk up - why have staff groups if they can't service any tickets other than their own? Here's a perfect example of one use you wouldn't, but it's something I'd argue as a 'fringe' use rather than the normal intended use.

tfs

jaccion

Thanks Arantor, going to try and implement this now, will let you know how it goes.

Have a custom theme question too but will start new thread for that.

this is great!!!!!

I completely agree that my request is actually counter to the whole point of the exercise, as essentially it is exactly oppsite the intended purpose. When i saw it though, i was so excited, as i have been looking for something like this for a long time (don't have the coding skills to make it myself, and i was hoping i might be able to adapt it to suit my whacked needs lmao).
But if that is the only little hack that i need to make it work, then i just gotta say, you are a freaking guru!!!!

jaccion

That didn't restrict viewing all tickets unfortunately. Thanks anyway

Gruffen

No, I never said it would. That's what using the permissions is for. You don't give staff the 'view any ticket' permission.

jaccion

I tried various combos of view all public, view all private, own private, own public... and the only way to get them in the dropdown assign list was to have them view all still.
Made the change

// can they actually see said ticket
$visible = shd_members_allowed_to('shd_view_ticket_own');

and then logged in as member of the staff group with no admin privilidges and still could see all the other test tickets as well. 

Gotta run off to work now, which is a big grrr... I will have a proper play with it tonight, checking the permissions more methodically instead of just a rush job.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

Gruffen

It should only need to be view own tickets (don't get into private tickets, it's not needed)

Staff permission has no relevance at all in whether a ticket is visible or not; it is solely controlled by view own/all tickets and view own/all private tickets.

Gruffen

Are you still in need of support on this?

Gruffen

Closing this issue for now, if you require further support please do post.