SMF 2.0 Final, SimplePortal 2.3.3, and SD 2.0 - Duplicate SP copyright

Started by tfs, June 12, 2011, 02:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfs

Not necessarily an issue with SD, but a place to note the possible interaction issue with SimplePortal 2.3.3 under SMF's new 2.0 final.

Simple Machines Forum 2.0/Final
SimplePortal 2.3.3
SimpleDesk 2.0 (r483)

When using Front Page mode in SimpleDesk, the SimplePortal copyright is displayed twice on the Front Page screen.  This did not occur while running under SMF 2.0/RC5.  It has only cropped up since updating the forum to SMF 2.0/Final.

Will post the same thing at SimplePortal and then provide cross links.

Link HERE.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Gruffen

Very likely that's SP vs SMF going on and that it being SD in standalone mode is incidental to it. SD does not interact with the copyright code, never has.

I wonder if it can be reproduced in SMF + SP without SD being involved? If SD is involved in any way, I'll investigate.

tfs

Doesn't seem to matter if SD is in stand-alone mode, only that it's using the Front Page plugin.  On the Front Page, SimplePortal displays its copyright two times.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Gruffen

tfs

Wouldn't be possible to test, because if SD isn't running then there's no SD "Front Page" on which it could happen.

tfs

Gruffen

Oh, I see.

I'm almost certain it's an SP bug.

Out of interest... is that a bbcode or PHP front page?

tfs

It's BBCode using an html tag to display html that was ultimately stolen from YOUR SimpleDesk Roadmap.  :)

Gruffen

tfs

Gruffen

Take that out, as well as anything preceding the main content (like a <body>) - the front page is only needed for actual content, and <head>, <body> and <html> are not needed.

The </body> and </html> are used by SimplePortal as a trigger point for injecting their copyright.

(FWIW, this sort of thing is precisely why I never put visible copyright in SD: too many ways it could do odd things inadvertently.)

tfs

Yep, that did the trick.  Thanks!

RE: Copyrights in the footer... I've passed up some very nice mods because they like to put their junk in the footer.  SimplePortal is the only one I've ever made an exception for, and that's only because I NEED it.  But even still, I wish they wouldn't.  Every single thing that gloms onto the footer reduces the professional feel of the page.

Gruffen

Well, it's interesting to note that with 2.0 final you can even remove SMF's copyright if you feel like it.

tfs

Quote from: Gruffen on June 12, 2011, 04:16:56 PM
Well, it's interesting to note that with 2.0 final you can even remove SMF's copyright if you feel like it.

Hmmmm.... Well, that bodes ill for SimplePortal on my system then, because if I were to remove the SMF copyright then I certainly wouldn't want a SimplePortal copyright there all alone.

It'll be interesting in the days to come seeing what happens to mod licenses now that SMF is BSD.

tfs

Quote from: Gruffen on June 12, 2011, 04:16:56 PM

In the index.template.php file it still says...

Quote// Show the "Powered by" and "Valid" logos, as well as the copyright. Remember, the copyright must be somewhere!

...is that an oversight that someone neglected to remove, or does it still hold true?