News:

Looking for a good read? Check out the SimpleDesk Team Blog.

Main Menu

Site downtime

Started by cσσкιє мσηѕтєя, March 20, 2010, 01:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Douglas

Chris, I mean this absolutely respectfully when I say this... but I didn't even have to come in here and share why there was downtime.  To be brutally honest, it's none of your business.

Solar, as a company, did its job.  We notified the customers ahead of time (Not as much notice as we would like, but we still notified customers.)

You're not the customer on record, so I'm not obligated to tell you anything.  :)

Whether our customers choose to share our notifications with their site members is THEIR prerogative.

And as Sleepy said, you've got absolutely no idea of what's going on.  Even with the information on the Solar forums, that's still limited information and carefully worded.  The customers get a more detailed explanation, generally, via email.

FYI, the last official outage prior to last night's reboot was over a month ago.  We know what the problem was, and are working to fix that (the current and last night's maintenance are the end results of correcting some of the problem that caused February's issue.

Again, until you walk a mile in my shoes...

ccbtimewiz

Quote from: DouglasYou're not the customer on record, so I'm not obligated to tell you anything.  :)

Quote from: Chris on March 20, 2010, 09:31:43 PMI'm not talking to Douglas, but rather with the team of this particular site.

Don't get me the wrong way, not blaming you or your company now.

Gruffen

The person who is customer on record has been busy with real life as SleePy said, which is why we didn't know about it in advance because they're not obligated to tell us anything.

[FailSafe]

Well to counteract the real-life "problem" (since it's not really that big of a deal) I know for my host you can add other accounts to your hosting account and give them limited notifications (like only Support emails, or only General and Domain Notifications). I don't know about Solar but if needed, and available, there is that option.

That aside, Douglas and Arantor are right. Sever announcements made by Site staff on websites aren't a requirement. The fact they do tell us in advance is a privilege and they do so of their own interests.

I don't blame them for not releasing the information. I just get worried when nothing is said though. But as long as I know that the staff knows that everything is ok then i'm fine. :)

On a totally unrelated note to that... VP/COO of a company? Kudos to you, Douglas. ;)

tfs

The site's back up, but it seems like I end up clicking on things twice before something happens.  This may be my imagination but I'm pretty sure that started a little before the site went down.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Trekkie101

The IP change was mishandled a bit :P a lot of it probably my fault.

However if the site goes down, feel free to email either me (usually I can get my email quicker than actually seeing if the sites down), and in the next few days I'll make sure that SleePy, Arantor and the rest of the team can contact SolarVPS in my absence if there are any issues.

I'd like to point out that I get an email every now and then from Douglas if there are any planned issues and that some of the issues we experience are down to us rather than a SolarBlip!

~DS~

Yeah, yeah. It happened again as of 27/28 of May. Yeah we know.  :P
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral