[Feature] Requestable Groups

Started by Spoogs, March 12, 2010, 02:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoogs

My site has a few groups that are requestable but simply requesting to join the group doesnt mean instant access. It would be nice if requesting to join a group would open a ticket and allow the members to submit the necessary info to be reviewed by staff in order to join the group. (something similar to the app for joining the beta group here <not sure if thats an SD feature but i like it>)

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

You can already make requestable membergroup in SMF 2.0 by checking the 'Requestable' radio field when creating/editing a membergroup in your ACP.
As for our beta testing form, that is just a simple PHP/HTML form integrated into our site structure.

~DS~

I don't think it's part of SD, as far as I can tell...it's exclusive for this site only but would be great to see one as part of small mod of the SD project.

Edit: Ninja'd by Nas
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

Not sure I see the need for a mod doing that.
Basically, what it does it outputting the form and the CAPTCHA. When submitted, it makes sure the CAPTCHA is valid, and then proceeds to post a topic for us in a private board (after having checked that the message wasn't empty, of course) and lastly kicks the user back to the 'Thank you' template.

Spoogs

I get that and understand how to make the requestable groups. The issue is when we need additional info we always end up doing it by PM (i hate PM's and email for some reason) so just though tit would be cool if when someone requests to join such a group a topic or ticket would be created and we can go from there.

Gruffen

It wouldn't be hard to integrate that into the existing framework. Maybe it's something we could look at for a future version. :)

Spoogs

Acans

This is something I'm setting up on my production forum.

A group that is requestable that can see the help desk and reply to public tickets.

Gruffen

This is slightly different. The idea here is not so much requesting access to the helpdesk, but the fact that when a request is made at all, the request *itself* becomes an HD ticket.

Could be a messy one to implement. Then again, no more messy than track-IP or attachments integration was, very likely.