Topic solved
This topic is marked as solved and as such require no attention unless you want to bump this issue.

Would like a couple of edits, please?

Started by Grammy, June 09, 2016, 04:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammy

We'll try to launch our new forum this weekend and I just have a couple of changes I'd like to make to SimpleDesk if you guys don't mind? 

1.)  The Help Desk button in the forum:  this forum will be mainly for people who have never used a forum before (seriously).  They're a farming community with little to no experience with anything more than email.  It would be very helpful if the Help Desk button's first option in pulldown was actually "View Help Desk".  I know, just clicking on the button without using the pulldown will take you to the desk.  But you'd be surprised at how many people get confused by pulldown options.  All that to say, even though its redundant, if the action for the forum Help Desk button and its first pulldown could both be "View Helpdesk", that would be great!

2.)  Are there any edits I could make to the files that would allow me to change the order of the categories seen when viewing the Help Desk (i.e., Assigned To Me, New Requests, etc.)?  I would like New Requests to always be at the top of the list when there are new requests.

Could you guys help with this?  I am using SMF 2.0.11 default and my SD is 2.0.

Thanks so much!

Grammy

Spoogs

Before editing to accomplish this, would displaying the helpdesk as a board in the forum be beneficial to you with the menu button disabled?

This can be accomplished by creating a category in the forum and call it helpdesk. Then go to the admin section of SD and choose Options, then select Display Options then check the box for hide menu item.

Each helpdesk department has the option to be displayed as a board, you can have it displayed in the category you created.

When you display it this way, when the select the heldesk department the automatically view the helpdesk.

If this interests you and you need help setting it up let me know.

Spoogs

As for changing the order of the categories, SleePy may have to chime in there.

I have been using SD for quite sometime and our goal is always to address new tickets as soon as possible and its never really been an issue. To be honest most people tend to get use to whats available, especially when they have no other point of reference.

Grammy

Quote from: Spoogs on June 09, 2016, 08:15:18 PM
Before editing to accomplish this, would displaying the helpdesk as a board in the forum be beneficial to you with the menu button disabled?

This can be accomplished by creating a category in the forum and call it helpdesk. Then go to the admin section of SD and choose Options, then select Display Options then check the box for hide menu item.

Each helpdesk department has the option to be displayed as a board, you can have it displayed in the category you created.

When you display it this way, when the select the heldesk department the automatically view the helpdesk.

If this interests you and you need help setting it up let me know.

Hi again and thanks! 

Well, the purpose for the help desk is a bit of a sensitive issue with the people the forum is for.  There will be a lot of sharing of personal medical information and the menu button/ticket system seems to reassure them of privacy.  I think if the help desk were a forum board, it would cause a bit of alarm for those who insist on privacy.  When I asked about the first pulldown and the click of the topmost menu button having the same action of "View Help Desk" it's because a lot of them won't know to simply click the button.  They will try to choose a pulldown option and be offered only the option to post a new ticket or view their own, when all they really want to do it view the help desk, perhaps edit their preferences, etc.

About the categories, I'm not sure exactly how long a request will sit there before someone finally gets to it.  My role there is just to keep the place running but the people the forum is for are a little like deer in headlights, at this point.  It'll be a challenge for them to edit their profile, let alone manage the ticket system.   :D

I'm just trying to make things as blatantly obvious to them as I can and I felt that if the first thing they saw was a New Ticket, it would make things that much easier.   :)

Grammy

Spoogs, I was able to edit the menu button to get the first option to repeat "Help Desk", so that's done.   :)

So far, I don't smell any smoke, so I don't think I blew anything up.   :D

The categories would be nice, but it's no biggie if it's a hassle.  Thanks for all the help you've given!

Grammy

I also was able to do the category edits.  You guys have written such a nice mod, and laid it out so concisely that even a complete novice like me is able to eventually navigate the code.  I wish all of SMF was put together this nicely!   :)

Thanks so much; solved. 

Spoogs

Glad you got it resolved, didnt get a chance to take a look.
All the coding credit goes to the likes of Arantor, SleePy, etc.