News:

Looking for a good read? Check out the SimpleDesk Team Blog.

Main Menu

Default/Customizable Message Body for Staff

Started by tyty1234, April 04, 2010, 06:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyty1234

So I was thinking back to a help desk on my old host's site, and whenever a staff replied to a customer's topic, you'd always see a greeting to the customer, their message, and then followed by a salutation. It would always be like that, and so it got me thinking. What if SD could automatically do something like that? Here's an example.

Hi {$customer_name},

{$message body}

{$salutation}

It could be inserted into the text area, or it can be added in afterwards. So the output would be something like this...

Hi Arantor,

SimpleDesk is close to release, so I suggest you have the latest version of SMF installed to experience the mod fully and enjoyably. Should you need help with anything, please let us know.

Regards,
tyty1234

Does this sound possible? :)
tyty1234
Co-Founder of Dream Portal

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

I like the idea, but not for SimpleDesk 1.0 or 1.1.

Gruffen

Something along these lines was already on our todo list (for 1.2 IIRC)

tyty1234

Quote from: Arantor on April 04, 2010, 06:54:17 AM
Something along these lines was already on our todo list (for 1.2 IIRC)
Oh okay. That's good to know. :)
tyty1234
Co-Founder of Dream Portal

Gruffen

Our roadmap is huge, btw. We have features listed down on it for development into 2011.

Achilles

yeah, just like those unto the warning system, Templates for easy reply. :D

[FailSafe]

Quote from: Arantor on April 04, 2010, 07:19:07 AM
Our roadmap is huge, btw. We have features listed down on it for development into 2011.

;) At least we know that SimpleDesk is going to be around for a while then.

Gruffen

Around for a while and with lots of funky interesting features to come :)

~DS~

Quote from: Arantor on April 04, 2010, 02:22:14 PM
Around for a while and with lots of funky interesting features to come :)
That's why it's a core feature which should be in 2.1 as well as Bugtracker and the popular User Accounts Integration: Facebook Connect. I don't think any other software can match up to this...not even VB.
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

Gruffen

I wouldn't like to see SD integrated into SMF 2.1 core, because I know too many forums that wouldn't use it. There's a lot of mods I don't want to see in SMF core (Facebook Connect, Project Tools, Aeva Media)... it's all secondary to actually using a forum, and thus bloat.

~DS~

It's still optional. Heck I do not use Karma which is a core feature as I see no use for it hence it's optional so I leave it disabled. I don't see no reason SD not being a Core.
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

Gruffen

Because a 10k line 'core' feature that's used by a fraction of users is bloat.

Even the calendar is smaller than SD and many consider it bloat.

[FailSafe]

Quote from: Arantor on April 04, 2010, 02:39:45 PM
I wouldn't like to see SD integrated into SMF 2.1 core, because I know too many forums that wouldn't use it. There's a lot of mods I don't want to see in SMF core (Facebook Connect, Project Tools, Aeva Media)... it's all secondary to actually using a forum, and thus bloat.

Agreed. However I also feel that these mega-mods should be included in the main download page of SMF.org, as well a link to the main site that built and supports it. Personally it just seems like huge mods like these should be separate from the normal modifications in the Customizations page. E.g., the Portals, Avea, etc.

Gruffen

Well, there is an implicit problem with doing that; namely the perception that the product(s) are actually officially Simple Machines products or similar, or that they have something special about them other than being huge.

I'm personally fine with things the way they are.