News:

Loving SimpleDesk? Help us spread the word!

Main Menu

Staff Access to two Department bug?

Started by Ice_Drake1, August 10, 2012, 08:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice_Drake1

Hi, I tried to search around the forum for answers to my problem, but I have no luck.

Right now, I am using SMF 2.0.2 with SimpleDesk 2.0 installed along with many other mods. I recently found out that my staffs don't have access to both departments I assigned them to. As an administrator, it makes sense to see both departments, but other users only see one of the two departments. I figured that it must be a bug, so I am here asking for help to fix this problem.

venguard223

So you're an administrator, you can see all departments. The odds of them being able to see only one department is more likely a configuration issue than a bug.

So, how *exactly* is it configured? You've not told me anything about how anything is set up.

Ice_Drake1

That is what I thought about, too. So I double check the permission to see if it is correct, but I see no problem.

I have two departments: Helpdesk and Workdesk.

Helpdesk Users and Helpdesk Staffs are part of Helpdesk, and Workdesk Users and Workdesk Staffs are part of Workdesk. The membergroup I am having trouble with is Game Designers. I set them to be part of Helpdesk Users and Workdesk Staffs, but they only see Workdesk...they don't see Helpdesk.

Helpdesk Users and Workdesk Users are based on default Helpdesk Users permission, and Workdesk Users and Workdesk Staffs are based on default Helpdesk Staffs permission.

venguard223

What kind of membergroup is Game Designers?

Screenshots would probably help at this point too, of everything.

Ice_Drake1

I am not sure what you mean by "What kind of membergroup is Game Designers?". I think you are referring that it is a specially assigned membergroup that has more permission than a regular member.

Here is a visual of the departments I am talking about:

Here is a visual of editing the role of Helpdesk Users:

venguard223

QuoteI am not sure what you mean by "What kind of membergroup is Game Designers?". I think you are referring that it is a specially assigned membergroup that has more permission than a regular member.

I'm primarily getting at whether it is an inherited or otherwise based on another group.

How's the department configured? Where is it not visible, exactly?

* venguard223 wonders if he should offer to look at the full admin himself, could probably solve it faster that way...

Ice_Drake1

Oh, Game Designers originally inherited from Regular Members and made unique afterward with the extra permissions. Regular Members can see Helpdesk, but not Workdesk, which is correct...but I don't understand why Game Designers can't see Workdesk when they are supposed to.

Quote from: venguard223 on August 11, 2012, 03:03:16 PM
How's the department configured? Where is it not visible, exactly?

Uh...as for the department configuration, it is shown on the first visual. The whole Helpdesk department is completely hidden for Game Designers. It is not shown in under General nor is it shown in Helpdesk tab as if they don't have access to it at all.

Here is a better visual of the permission for the two departments:

Membergroup "Alpha Testers" are having the same problem.

venguard223

Still need to know more about these groups and the users who have these groups, what groups do they have?

Also, go to the profile of a user in these groups and pull up a list of their permissions in the helpdesk, that will show you what permissions they have access to.

Ice_Drake1

Quote from: venguard223 on August 12, 2012, 10:15:07 AM
Still need to know more about these groups and the users who have these groups, what groups do they have?

Also, go to the profile of a user in these groups and pull up a list of their permissions in the helpdesk, that will show you what permissions they have access to.

I am not sure what more do you want to know about these groups since it is specified clearly on 3rd visual. For instance, from the visual, Regular Members, Family, Game Designer, Game Developer, Alpha Tester, Game Moderator, Beta Tester, and Graphic Designer makes up Helpdesk Users. Regular Members can view Helpdesk, but only membergroups that are part of two departments can't see Helpdesk. That includes Alpha Testers, Game Designers, Game Developers, and Game Moderators.

Here is a visual list of permissions for Helpdesk of a member named "test" I placed temporary as a Game Designer, which you requested for:

As mentioned before, the permission is based on the default permission of Helpdesk Users.

Spoogs

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what would be causing this.

I agree with venguard here that it'd be better to see the setup from admin view to really nail this down.

I can vouch for venguard that was the lead developer and developed the MAJORITY of SimpleDesk

Ice_Drake1

Oh, I see...here is a link to a duplicate of my forum without the junks: http://ethera.servehttp.com/temp/SMF/

Administrator Account
Username: admin
Password: password

Test Account
Username: test
Password: test

Please feel free to do whatever on it to investigate the problem.

Spoogs

SO I took a look and this is beyond me. Everything looks fine but I can confirm Designer cannot see Helpdesk and only able to see Workdesk though permissions are set to see both. Designer is a User in the Helpdesk and Staff in the Workdesk.

All forum boards are deleted and SD is being displayed as boards on the board index. not sure if a mod would be causing this but installed are:
1.   Adk Rules Posts   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
2.   Spiders Don't Increase Topic Views   1.1.1   [ Uninstall ]
3.   SimpleDesk - Integrated Helpdesk for Simple Machines Forum   2.0   [ Uninstall ]
4.   SMFShop   3.2   [ Uninstall ]
5.   Happy Birthday   0.3   [ Uninstall ]
6.   FAQ Mod   1.2   [ Uninstall ]
7.   Add Social Media Icons To Profiles   1.0.5   [ Uninstall ]
8.   Adk Snow Effect   2.0   [ Uninstall ]
9.   Aeva Media   1.4w   [ Uninstall ]
10.   Medal Honor For Years   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
11.   System Post Comment   2.0   [ Uninstall ]
12.   Adk Top Karma   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
13.   Limit Karma   1.4   [ Uninstall ]
14.   PortaMx 1.45   1.45   [ Uninstall ]

Nothing really seems out of play to me. I created a local test but can't reproduce this.

Spoogs

When I remove Designer's access to the Workdesk, the Helpdesk becomes visible.

I'm really lost here.

venguard223

This is absolutely ****ing weird.

The test user is definitely in both departments - their profile indicates that quite happily (and you can switch between the departments to validate that's the case)

I also can't replicate it on a local set up (because I've tried!) and when I originally wrote that code I wrote it all to work as expected, the only fringe cases should have been related to groups that weren't proper member groups but they've long been known about.

None of the mods there should be touching the helpdesk permissions code either or its variable.

Spoogs

Yeah this one just isnt ringing home. Didn't really expect it to make a difference but I deleted the game Designer Group and added it back and the problem persists.

I'll try a few more scenarios later.