News:

Get the latest news and updates on SimpleDesk!

Main Menu

Who hosts this site ?

Started by Afro, March 15, 2010, 04:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afro

This site is running very smooth.
The severs are pretty Cool and fast.

So is it possible to know the hosts ?

Gruffen

SolarVPS ultimately I believe.

Afro

Thanks.
I have checked on the solarvps.
Some good packages but a little higher than what i get from Inmotion.
25GB Disk Space @43USD is not fair.
Inmotion gives 40GB at that price.

Gruffen

Do you really need that extra 15GB first of all?

Secondly, and this is the key thing from my experience... what's their support like?

I personally use a Linode for my stuff (I didn't set this forum up), though I think here's a managed VPS, I pay somewhere in the middle but again the support is excellent.

Afro

My forum is kind of beginning to get 300 to 400 posts daily.
I think i will need the spaces some day.
I also plan to add some more heavy mods like this SD.
I am already running Arcade and Media mods.
I was with some vpsland.com whose CS is the poorest i have seen.
Plus i hate plesk which is the only thing they offered.
My new host offers good CS and Fast too..

Douglas

While this site may be powered by a SolarVPS system, it's not hosted directly by SolarVPS.

VPSLand is a joke.  I should write up a blog entry about oversold VPS hosts one of these days.  Can't tell you the number of customers that Solar's gotten from VPSLand... but I can tell you that a sybstabtual majority of them are still with Solar a year (or longer) after switching.  :)

Gruffen

Hey Douglas, nice to see you around here!

I'm not familiar with the exact hosting details here, but AFAIK it's a Solar box it's running on, whether it's resold through someone else or not, but I tend not to get into the things like that...

Trekkie101

It's a Solar box alright :)

Paying the extra a month is worth it for ticket response times with Solar, always within 10 minutes.

Douglas

Thanks, gents.  Arantor's right... the site isn't hosted directly by us, though it is through one of our customers.  And yes, this is a customer that I am rather fond of working with (I've worked with him for almost three years and love giving that bugger grief, hahaha).

I don't want to identify who it is, HOWEVER, if you do a DNS lookup on the IP that this site is hosted under, you'll see who it's hosted with.

Afro

Quote from: Douglas on March 16, 2010, 02:08:03 PM
Thanks, gents.  Arantor's right... the site isn't hosted directly by us, though it is through one of our customers.  And yes, this is a customer that I am rather fond of working with (I've worked with him for almost three years and love giving that bugger grief, hahaha).

I don't want to identify who it is, HOWEVER, if you do a DNS lookup on the IP that this site is hosted under, you'll see who it's hosted with.

Who is the customer Doug, Any link to reach him/her ?

Douglas

I can't reveal customer contact information.  I gave a hint on how to find it, though.  :)

Solar's got one of *the* strongest customer privacy policies around for any hosting company... almost as tightly controlled as Swiss banks and their customer information.  :D

Trekkie101