News:

Loving SimpleDesk? Help us spread the word!

Main Menu

A walkthrough of how my company does helpdesk

Started by tfs, February 22, 2010, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gruffen

We hadn't thought of that, but that's a good feature actually - nice for expanding the assignment thing actually.

We are planning to add staff languages (i.e. what language(s) a staff member can speak, and what language a ticket is in) so perhaps we can package it in with that.

[FailSafe]

Well, the way I see it, wouldn't it just be whoever was on at the time and had the permission to answer a ticket would go ahead and do it?

Like the support at SMF, whoever answers a topic is the one that provides the support. And if there are unanswered topics in the Support List when you get online then you tackle those as well.

I may just be entirely missing the point here, is there a need for schedules? Though, I admit, it would be a good feature to have in case someone does decide to use it.

Senkusha

The point is if you're using SimpleDesk in a professional environment, where you have staff members that clock in and out on a regular schedule.  Sure, the web based presence would allow whoever is online at the time to answer the questions, but the scheduling is more for the 'front line' or an administrator/office admin who intercepts the cries for help first, and then assigns a technician a particular help ticket.

Anyway, I thought of another feature for much later, this one dealing with customers specifically.  Will there be any sort of 'database' for customer information, using customized fields?  In my last job, we had a Microsoft Word document that had all of our remote connectivity information, points of contact, and other misc info about each customer (software modules they were using, etc)  Also linked with this, would be a feature that facilitates basic accounting like creating Invoices for billing of customers.  We'd have one place for all customer information, of course, if a company wants to use a professional accounting package, that would be their choice.

Gruffen

See, we want to be adaptable; sure you could use it for 'whoever's available' but I can really see this in professional environments too.

I noted in the feature item internally that we could do something around it actually limiting who you can assign a ticket to, perhaps even requiring a permission to assign to a currently unavailable user.

That also leads me onto possibly a current status (user is online, user is offline, user is unavailable, user is busy) type tweak somewhere (with managerial override, of course)

[FailSafe]

Ahh, that status feature sounds cool. :)

But i'll just trust you on this one, Senkusha since you have more experience at this then I do. ;) I can see where your coming from with this, and I agree that professionally a time schedule would be good. It's just not something that i'm use to seeing around the internet. :)