Integration hooks

Started by Gruffen, November 03, 2010, 10:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gruffen

Looking at the changes in RC4, it seems that the integration hook system extensions could be used to avoid making some code edits (like the one in the buffer that removes the search form/unread links in SA mode)

Any plans to make use of this?

live627

This is a GREAT idea! I'm not too sure why they were never utilised but SlammedDime's SimpleSEF does this and it looks very simple.

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

Aye, it could probably be a good idea. The reason they weren't so widely used before was that each hook could only be used once due to a 'mistake' with the system. But that's improved in RC4 so we could probably use those now.

JBlaze

I look forward to moving towards a more "plugin/hook" type system with SimpleDesk. I am going to research what changes have been made in SMF's hook integration system before making any decisions though. The less core code edits, the better.

Gruffen

SD makes much more use of the hooks now, though there's still a woeful lack of really good hook facilities.

live627

Big shortage. So much, in fact, that I would venture to say you've filled most SMF hooks.

Gruffen

Most of the ones that are useful, anyway.

There's one glaring failure in the hooks: that you have to load stuff so early on and far more than needed because there's a lack of hooks for including files only when needed.

feline

PortaMx use a lot of the integration hooks .. that save us around 50% less code change in SMF  ;)

PortaMx has released version 1.4 for SMF 2.0 with revolutionary features, which no other portal has. This is only possible with the PortaMx 'OOP' programming technique and the built in 'SEF' engine.

Gruffen

Yup, I saw a fair bit of reduction but most of the stuff that's left, SMF just does not have hooks for.