News:

Looking for a good read? Check out the SimpleDesk Team Blog.

Main Menu

Get to know the Team: Nas

Started by cσσкιє мσηѕтєя, January 19, 2010, 10:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

So, you've been lurking around this site, perhaps made a few nice post. You've read about the features in this coming mod, had a sneak peak on the software and admired our progress bar.
Like Arantor mentioned in his topic, we're going to post a few topics for you to get to know us. So, here's mine. Time to get to know the youngster. :)

Some may have read my Get to know topic over at www.simplemachines.org, but like Arantor I felt like writing a full text instead of a short interview style topic.
I'm Marcus "Nas" Forsberg, 14 years old (October 24th '95). I was born in Sweden, but my mother and her family always used to go to Åland Islands, and so did my dad when they met each other.
So, when I was only 8 months old I visited Åland Islands (Which, by the way, is a group of big and small islands in the Baltic Sea, between Sweden and Finland) for the first time.
We then kept going there very often for the next few years, until August 2007 when we left Sweden and moved into our summer house in Lemland, Åland.
It was quite small so it was annoying at times, but my dad and a builder he hired built us a nice house, which was finished last year, were we now live.

I originally started to use computers for real around 2005 - 2006, and started to read up on HTML in 2006.
It was confusing in the beginning, but I learned quickly and soon I could do quite nice CSS and HTML layouts.
In spring 2008, after we moved, I was hanging around a fansite for a game I was playing at the time. The site however was closed down due to the owner not having enough time.
Some members asked me to create a new one, but I had no idea on how such stuff worked.
I began doing some research, finding and testing several sites offering phpBB hosting, but I was far from happy.
Eventually I found this good looking thing called SMF, and decided to try it out. After finally getting it set up, remember I had no idea how stuff like that works, I was in love.

While driving the support team at SMF mad with my questions, I started to do small hacks and mod installations to SMF code. That's how I began learning PHP.
I made a few mods, with lotsa errors, and now I was driving the customization team mad too. I'm lovely, eh? :P
Eventually I started to get the hang of it, and I also started to help out in the support boards, which was why I was invited to the SMF support team in November 2008.
I accepted, and after an one month apprenticeship I joined the full team at December 4.
As I grew and learned more, I eventually started to create some themes, and in April 2009 I made the transfer to the Customization team.
After a few months I "switched" to the modification section instead, which is where I am now.
So, that proves you can be a complete newbie but still learn and grow and eventually get involved in something as big as SimpleDesk. :P

December 31 2009, more than a year after I joined the SMF team, I and a few other team members were talking in the SMF team channel on IRC.
I kinda pulled the trigger there, when I expressed my interest in doing a team mod both to inspire hopeful modders out there and improve my knowledge.
Arantor and JBlaze joined in, suggesting a helpdesk, and we were set - SimpleDesk had been born.

The project is going great so far, and I'm really enjoying this.
My role is as a Developer, and I'm focusing mainly on the user interface and layout of SimpleDesk, but I do of course code other stuff as well.
I'm looking forward to the release, even to the support requests which will roll in. :D

Besides my obvious web development hobby, I also like to play around in Photoshop. I'm still learning but it's great fun.
You might eventually see some of my Photoshop work - Maybe even around here.

So what's for the future?
Well, I'm currently going to school, with about one and a half year left. After that I'm going to go to a school for communication and media, with a special programming class.
That'll be three years, and after that I plan to do further studies back in Sweden, and then perhaps start some sort of business here in the little community of Åland.
My big dream is to one day visit London, and perhaps even study a bit more there. :P
I'm really looking forward to the end of my current base-studies. The only interesting things happening there is the English classes, Swedish classes and computer science classes, which is my best subjects. I'm kinda on top of my class there.
Though, computer science - Well, not much learning there. We're going through the basics of HTML, which, as you know, I already know by heart. My teacher is even using the wrong method - Deprecated tags, nasty styles...
She told me we're not going to reach anywhere close to my level in our classes. Oh well, if anything it'll increase my average grade. ;D

I'm done talking - Eh, writing, for now. Now that you've had a little read about me, I'm looking forward to the future events here on SimpleDesk as well as SimpleMachines.
If you feel like it, do ask questions about me if you have any. I'm open ears. :)
Also do keep your eyes open for more of these topics, as well as other blog posts in the coming days and weeks.

Nas

[FailSafe]

*applause* Well done! That was fun reading! ;D

So what do you plan to do after school ends. Do you have any career dreams that you'd like to see come true? :)

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

As I mentioned shortly in my post, it'd be cool to start some sort of tech company.  :)
Not sure how much is in it here on this lil' island, though.

[FailSafe]

Oh, so you did. My bad. ^^;;

Well best of luck! :) I for one will be rooting for you.

Sabre

Very nice read Marcus.
I'm still stumbling over the fact that you're only 14 lol
At 14 I was out ripping into halfpipes on my skateboard, and playing 'kiss tag' with the local girls, but then again, PCs were not as readily available back then.
Different times I guess.
All the best for the present, and future :)
Cheers

Gruffen

You want to come to London to study? Awesome, means a possible meet-up, since London is under an hour by train from me ;D

Trekkie101

Simple Desk meetup 2010! :D

London here we come :P (I'm in Scotland btw :P)

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

Thanks, Sabre!

Arantor: Yeah, London really is a place I want to go to at some point. My sis and I even had a little idea of going there together when I finish school, to study. A few year left though, and it'll also take a while before I have enough money to go there (And courage to fly. That really is something I never wanted to do. Forgot to mention that in my post :P)

Quote from: Trekkie101 on January 20, 2010, 09:18:36 AM
Simple Desk meetup 2010! :D

2010? I wouldn't think so, unless you can convince my school to let me quit 1,5 years early and then convince my parents to let me go to London alone. :P

I meet-up at some point would be nice, though.

SleePy

Sweet, I get to go do London :D (Your paying right?)
Jeremy D — Spare-Developer

Kill Em All

Quote from: SleePy on January 25, 2010, 05:20:43 PM
Sweet, I get to go do London :D (Your paying right?)
Oh, oh, can I come?

GeekMaster

All I can think about now is fish and chips...

FreeMe

guys go to Finland for meet up i can show you the good bars ;) and for Nas i know the youth people in Turku :D

live627

And in Arizona I can learn (uh, teach :P) you what dry heat and few to no clouds feels like

nathanael.lee

It is so nice to read this experience of Nas. As I am trying my best to approach SMF project closly, I hope that I can get a beginning chance of support work in Simple Desk.