Wikipedia reskin

Started by Gruffen, May 13, 2010, 06:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gruffen

Storage isn't the only problem. I'd be more concerned about having to download 3.3GB over a wifi connection... don't know what kind of plans you guys have over in the US, but most of the wifi pay plans here, 3.3GB would be 20% of a typical month's allowance before you start paying by the MB...

[FailSafe]

The plan I use (I have T-Mobile) we have a "data plan" that has a moderately high monthly fee you pay which gives you access to unlimited access to everything using your phone.  This mean unlimited texts, unlimited emails, and unlimited internet usage, and etc.

I'm pretty sure that AT&T and Verizon have the same kind of plans that come with their smartphones.

MultiformeIngegno

I have Vodafone, 2 euro/week and I have 500MB/week (HSPA)....
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum - tv)
Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...

...iscriviti al feed di RockCiclopedia dedicato alle ultime news del mondo della musica!

royalduke

Quote from: Arantor on June 01, 2010, 09:53:44 PM
Quote from: royalduke on June 01, 2010, 09:48:49 PM
I don't see the point :P Since I use a mobile to access it usually plus there is this cool app for iPhone/iTouch that puts the entire Wikipedia into your phone so you can view it offline O.O

The *entire* archive? English WP has 3.3m articles, even at a very conservative average of 1k per article, you'd be talking 3.3 GB of space uncompressed.

Yes, it's big but it's compressed :P I am pretty sure they removed graphics and stuff :D

Quote from: SleePy on June 01, 2010, 10:45:25 PM
Thank god we have 16 GB of space on most smartphones :P

8 GB works for me :D

Gruffen

Um, 3.3GB was without any graphics... and even if you achieve a 10% compression rate, that's STILL a 330MB download over wifi. Have fun with that ;)

tfs

There's a huge difference between wifi and 3g.  I pay for 3g if I go over a certain amount (OK, company would pay, but I avoid making that happen).  But for wifi, that's my own 3.5 megabit DSL connection with a wireless router, which is unlimited.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Gruffen

Wifi in most cases is interchangeable with 3G; what I was getting at is that you're still talking about a download of in excess of 300MB, likely more, being pushed down a less-than-DSL wireless connection.

SleePy

I have unlimited data on my phone.  However being in the US, I can't tether my laptop to my phone (I can, but against TOS), so downloading 3 GB is unusual.

But finding a hotspot to get a wifi connection shouldn't be that hard.
Jeremy D — Spare-Developer

royalduke

Quote from: Arantor on June 03, 2010, 07:19:12 PM
Wifi in most cases is interchangeable with 3G; what I was getting at is that you're still talking about a download of in excess of 300MB, likely more, being pushed down a less-than-DSL wireless connection.

Downloaded 1 GB before using my WiFi.

Quote from: SleePy on June 03, 2010, 08:18:32 PM
I have unlimited data on my phone.  However being in the US, I can't tether my laptop to my phone (I can, but against TOS), so downloading 3 GB is unusual.

But finding a hotspot to get a wifi connection shouldn't be that hard.

It's called jailbreaking and not caring what Apple thinks, everyones doing it :P in NYC hotspots are all over the place, there are also some insecure WiFi's around my house.

Gruffen

You know a number of the more nasty vulnerabilities are significantly easier to access with jailbroken phones, right?

Hope you also don't want to upgrade your phone's OS :P

royalduke

Quote from: Arantor on June 05, 2010, 11:20:35 AM
You know a number of the more nasty vulnerabilities are significantly easier to access with jailbroken phones, right?

Hope you also don't want to upgrade your phone's OS :P

Jailbroken with BlackRa1n and running 3.1 iPhone OS. Yes, I know there are security issues but remember in life you gotta take risks.

Anyways, I have an App that protects me :P Plus I changes my password in secure shell because the default is alpine.

Gruffen

Hmm, hope you don't want to multitask either which is supposed to be one of the features in iPhone OS 4.0...

MultiformeIngegno

RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum - tv)
Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...

...iscriviti al feed di RockCiclopedia dedicato alle ultime news del mondo della musica!