Just Installed, no Help Desk Option in Core Features SMF - RC5

Started by cwestp, April 07, 2011, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwestp

Probably my fault for upgrading straight to RC5 to use this package.

I updated to 2.0 RC5 from 1.0.12 today and I was able to install the Simple Desk package, but none of the features appear to in the forum while logged in as Admin. Nothing in my Core Features menu has anything to do with Simple Desk or Help Desk.

Am I just hosed because of my choice of RC5? How hard would rolling back to RC3 be (I backed up multiple times)?

~DS~

"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

cwestp

I did, I emulated RC3 and installed the package through the web interface. I'm using the default theme, btw, I forgot to mention that.

Spoogs

Do you have any problems installing other modifications?
By web interface do you mean the packane manager in SMF?

cwestp

Yes, the Package Manager. This is the only mod I installed, I updated to 2.0 just to use Simple Desk. Simple Desk appears as an installed package under Browse Packages but nothing appears under Modification Settings.

I don't see any new directories or files when viewing the site over FTP - should there be some files and/or directories there? I could upload them manually...

Spoogs

Admin>> Configuration>> Core Features
You need to enable it first.

~DS~

Sounds like a permission problem.
Yes, there should be files there. Try uninstalling from the Modification Packages and only this time upload the package over FTP to the Package folder...

@Spoogs, the OP said there was nothing in the Core...
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

Spoogs

The last post states nothing under Modification Settings so I wanted to make sure they did enter Core Features and didn't see it in there

cwestp

After the uninstall/reinstall the Core Feature option appears and allowed me to fire it up and add the option on the toolbar for my Admin user, I'll set about adding permissions to other users and test it out further.

Just FYI in case anyone else has these symptoms, I got a ton of warnings on uninstall because the files it wanted to delete were not present. Proceeding with uninstall still seemed to be OK without any other side effects.

On the successful install attempt, I opened up permissions to CHMOD 775 on all target directories and upload the package already unpacked from the zip instead of uploading just the zip.

Thanks for the help, all!

~DS~

Spoogs

Yep, glad you got it worked out...
However in the future, its best to ask for help when the errors are present and only ignore them if you feel comfortable doing so so and making the necessary adjustments afterwards.

Good luck with SD and be on the lookout for the next release :)

Edit
Marking this topic as solved, feel free start a new topic if you have any other issues.

cwestp

True, I wouldn't recommend ignoring error messages to others but I had confirmed that all of the errors were attempts to delete files that had never written to their destinations.

Can't wait for the next release!

slavikf

Quote from: cwestp on April 07, 2011, 03:19:06 PM
I did, I emulated RC3 and installed the package through the web interface.
Can you hint me - how to "emulate" different version?

Gruffen

Quote from: slavikf on May 27, 2011, 04:12:39 AM
Quote from: cwestp on April 07, 2011, 03:19:06 PM
I did, I emulated RC3 and installed the package through the web interface.
Can you hint me - how to "emulate" different version?

Admin > Packages > Browse Packages > in the lower right corner of the screen, there's an option called Advanced. Click it, you get a text box with the version in it - change it from RC5 to RC3.

Failing that, wait for the next version which will be out shortly.

candidosa2