News:

Looking for a good read? Check out the SimpleDesk Team Blog.

Main Menu

Cannot Assign Ticket to Ticket Creator

Started by cwestp, June 08, 2011, 06:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwestp

All permissions are enabled for the member group. Members of that member group can create tickets and assign them to other users. However, If user JohnB creates a ticket, he can assign that ticket to anyone but himself. Also, if anyone else tries to assign that same ticket, they can assign it to anyone except JohnB. Is this a bug/limitation/lemon meringue pie? I see nothing posted about this and seems like other people would have tried this before me.

Spoogs

Ticket can only be assigned to staff members.
If the ticket author is a staff member go to yoursite/index.php?action=admin;area=helpdesk_options;sa=admin and make sure to check the option For tickets opened by staff, should it be possible to assign them the ticket?

cwestp

Both "Allow users to assign tickets to themselves" and "Allow users to assign tickets to any staff member" are checked. Using my previous example of JohnB again, JohnB can create a ticket and assign it to any other staff member. Any other staff member can create a ticket and assign to anyone else, including JohnB. No one can ever assign a ticket to the person that created the ticket.

Spoogs

cwestp

Doh, got it, that was indeed the problem. Thanks!

The placement and naming of those options is a bit unintuitive.

Just for my edification, what is the use case of that feature?

Spoogs

When it's unchecked it prevents staff members from assigning tickets to themselves that they created. Not everyone uses their helpdesk the same way, so there are cases where some admin might not want their staff assigning their own tickets to themselves (depending on how the helpdesk is being used of course).

How is it unintuitive..? as you said no one's brought it up before ;) (maybe we'll look into changing the wording a bit)

Gruffen

In fact, I'd argue that staff creating their own tickets to be assigned to themselves is far from the typical use case of any helpdesk I've ever been part of, and if you're doing that, you're not really using it as a helpdesk but as a ticket tracker...

Rus

I've done that many times as a ticket tracking device in different jobs where I'm the local support and people have issues with calling the helpdesk.  Sometimes its a good thing, sometimes you need to hit them with a bigger hammer until they call the helpdesk and follow process.

Depends on the job.

Gruffen

Exactly, that's why there's the option.

When I originally designed that part of the system over a year ago, the logic behind it was simply that if a staff member is creating a ticket, the odds are they're not going to be the person who resolves it but passing it up the food chain, so it would not necessarily be logical to assign to them - and that's why there's the option: the default is that you can't assign a staff member's ticket to themselves, but if you want to use it less as a customer service style helpdesk and more as a ticket tracker, you can do just that.

cwestp

That all makes sense. We're a small company so we don't have the same "food chain" you would find in a lot of places. In our other HD program (Help Star) calls are usually left on voice mail and the tickets are loaded by whichever tech is free to open the ticket, then it goes into the queue. They may very well be the same person that return's the user's call later so they would assign the ticket to themselves.

Right now we are running Simple Desk to track our beta sites' ticket's separate from our regular calls. When we schedule upgrade appointments, we open a ticket to track who will be point on those upgrades and they record their work in the call. Since the lead tester does some of this work, she needs to assign the tickets to herself.

Regarding the menu location, never mind what I said. I thought I was looking at the regular admin menu, but it was of course in the help desk admin. It might be a good idea, though, to name the title of that section "Simple Desk Options" since the part of the interface on the left that shows your position in the menu structure may not be visible when you are at the top of the page. If I had not been in such a hurry, I probably would have sorted out where I was, though.

Thanks, all!

Spoogs

Quote from: cwestp on June 09, 2011, 12:04:41 PM
Regarding the menu location, never mind what I said. I thought I was looking at the regular admin menu, but it was of course in the help desk admin. It might be a good idea, though, to name the title of that section "Simple Desk Options" since the part of the interface on the left that shows your position in the menu structure may not be visible when you are at the top of the page. If I had not been in such a hurry, I probably would have sorted out where I was, though.

I see the confusion now :P, I just provided the link to take you directly to the option. It's called administrative options because it is the administrative options for SimpleDesk and being that it resides in the SimpleDesk Options menu, we wouldn't change the title, just as the other options are also appropriately titled.

Glad this is all cleared up for you though :)

Gruffen

It probably doesn't help that I never use the left panel format in the admin area, I exclusively use the dropdown menus, so this problem never occurs to me...

Spoogs

I don't use that thing either, with no mods installed the list extends below the options in the display area... 3 mods that add to the menu (SD, SP, Aeva) and the list becomes a mile long :P

Gruffen

Yeah, 2.0's menu is pretty scary in that respect because of all the new stuff...

live627

* live627 gets the idea of grouping the menus by category

An extra click but would trim the list.