Simple Desk Reminiscing

Started by tfs, November 13, 2014, 09:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfs

Darn, I do miss collaborating on this project. How has everyone been these days?
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Flavio93Zena

There are extremely few people around now :(

venguard223

I've been working on a (paid) gallery mod for SMF, and some awesome stuff happened in my life recently in terms of finding awesome people.

Other than that, pretty quiet. How are you doing these days?

SleePy

Lots of things going on in my life.  To the point where I don't even have enough to handle all my stuff and still have fun.  To be young again (and I mean a teen)
Jeremy D — Spare-Developer

Spoogs

Hey fellas

Been busy, not a whole lot else going on between work and family and pretty much spent these days.

tfs

I saw you mention the gallery mod a time or two.  Searched a little to see if there was a way to get a peek at it, but didn't find anything. Do you have it demoed anywhere?
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Spoogs

*Spoogs also wonders where this dam thing is hidden  :P

venguard223

There isn't any demo yet but the site where I'll be selling it will have a live demo of it as such.

It's still being written, and it already overtook SimpleDesk in terms of size ;D

tfs

Looking forward to taking a look.  My family photo album site is getting long in the tooth.  I'd like to start from scratch, though I am loathe to lose the many hundreds of comments on existing photos.  I'm torn.  Fresh install and upload of everything, or see about keeping what's there.

venguard223

What's it built in?

Levertine Gallery, such as it is called, has a built in importer. Right now it can only do Aeva, SMF Gallery Lite and SMF Gallery Pro (but imports about as much data as I can get it to do, as in albums/categories, items, comments, custom fields, unseen logs, notification preferences, that kind of thing, pretty much only things it won't do are moderation logs and reports on items/comments, and that's only because it seems needlessly pedantic to do)

But the importer is written in a modular fashion where there's a common core and each separate importer then has its own system specific stuff. Writing an importer wouldn't be especially difficult though of course the more popular the system, the more inclination I have to build it and add it to the roster of supported (because my plan is to have the importers in the core so they get maintained better than randomly distributed scripts)

EDIT: Actually this week I've definitely had some flashbacks to SD's dev... I'm currently writing maintenance scripts using the not-done-yet template. Aside from the fact that when I started working on the not-done-yet template stuff, I had to look up how I did it in SD, I just remember all the time I spent writing the SD maintenance scripting - and I've spent a comparable amount of time on LevGal doing something similar ;D

tfs

It's in Aeva.  But I am considering a fresh re-install and do-over.  A few years back I discovered, to my horror, after a partial data loss on the server, that I had been using FTP to backup my forum and it was .... da dum... in automatic mode where it treated files with no extension name as TXT files. Thus my backups were next to useless other than the fact that they had the proper filenames to put back on the server where they were missing.

Long story short, about 1/4 of the 7k odd files in my gallery were damaged.  I've been replacing them one by one over the last few years, but I'm sorely tempted to start over.  Which would involve some massive uploads as well as the desire to get the comments over.

Total Items: 7282
Total Albums: 189
Total Comments: 2908

I like the name Levertine.  Very classy. And it has lever, which is a simple machine!  :)

venguard223

First things first, all my files have .dat extensions because I have learned from the whole FTP thing over the years. ;)

In terms of huge uploads, the system can handle that quite well :D There's a custom uploader widget that gets to bypass the usual realms of server upload limits if that's any help. Bulk uploading is not something I have sorted yet though.

The importer I have is segmented, it won't attempt to do everything in a single go or anything, and it has a distinct tendency to ignore what's in the database - for example I don't bother trying to import Exif data for anything, I get it myself from the file itself.

It might, conceivably, choke on 189 albums if they're all owned by the same user accountbut it probably wouldn't. Would be interesting to try it.

Comments are imported from Aeva, in fact the Aeva importer handles albums, items, comments, unseen logs and custom fields if any present.

Wow. Just wow. You are the first person that realised half the origins of the name Levertine without having to explain it. The other thing... well... a prong of a *fork* is called a tine ;) I just sort of reused the domain name I already had for branding purposes.