What next for SimpleDesk?

Started by Gruffen, April 01, 2011, 04:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoogs

Though it seems quiet the past day or 2, I assure you I've been plugging away at all the features option permissions and coming up clean as well.
I'm just about at the end of my list which I haven't gotten to in the past 2 weeks since a certain someone keeps repairing things so quickly ;D

Quote from: Dismal Shadow on April 05, 2011, 12:47:09 PM
Let's call it 2.0 then. That's one major jump. :P
That's the plan ;)

~DS~

QuoteThough it seems quiet the past day or 2
That's why I bumped. :P
I want to see this project going. ;)
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

Gruffen

1.0 final had 10,380 lines of PHP (as per this post), already there are 17,329 lines in SVN with plenty more yet to be written. There's a little less Javascript in total due to refinements, a decent chunk less XML due to moving as much as possible to SMF hooks (which accounts for several hundred lines of PHP alone)

I don't particularly want to comment on what's been done or what's left to be added though.

As for me, yesterday left me drained from stuff going on elsewhere, today I've been a little ill which has made sitting for more than half an hour at a time at the computer difficult, but I'm still plotting these things ;)

Spoogs

Get some rest man, the amount of time you've put in thus far is remarkable, dont push yourself to hard and get burnt out.

~DS~

Quote from: Spoogs on April 05, 2011, 12:59:08 PM
Get some rest man, the amount of time you've put in thus far is remarkable, dont push yourself to hard and get burnt out.
+1
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

Gruffen

This illness is something I ate that has really disagreed with me... if anything it's just making me more determined to get back to what I do because I really hate feeling ill, even slightly.

Spoogs

Ah in that case, maybe some ginger tea ;)

Gruffen

Nooooooooooo, that'll make it worse, most spices (including ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon) definitely disagree with me... which given where my surname comes from historically, is rather ironic.

English Blend tea FTW :P

Spoogs

:P Spicer cant handle Spice... come on ;D

Gruffen

Quote from: Spoogs on April 05, 2011, 01:21:07 PM
:P Spicer cant handle Spice... come on ;D

I find it deliciously ironic, yes.

chilly

Quote from: Dismal Shadow on April 05, 2011, 12:47:09 PM
Let's call it 2.0 then. That's one major jump. :P
have had enough time to prepare for that jump ;)
got a cookie for me?

Gruffen

Wait till you see the other stuff that's going into 2.0, then it truly will deserve the title.

FWIW, of the two features, one of them is colossal and will likely generate many bugs that need finding and squishing. Hopefully I won't make too many of them in the first place, though, because it's going to be a butt-ache to track them down at that point...

Gruffen

So, 6 days later, there's another 900 lines of PHP not counting the stuff that got rewritten over time to make the changes, including a major rewrite of permission loading to accommodate the new stuff.

The major colossal feature for 2.0 has been about 60% implemented with several known bugs and missing-minifeatures-that-could-be-considered-bugs still to implement for it but all in all, that came together pretty smoothly.

When we're on the run through beta and release candidates, I'll make an announcement of what's in 2.0 and what all the changes were that we added to it to make it so f***ing awesome.

Believe me, 2.0 IS awesome. Hopefully, you'll feel as I do, that it was worth waiting for.

tfs

A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Gruffen

OK, so an update on this.

We've internally set what 2.0 will contain, and only stuff on the tracker will be added now (which is the nearest we're going to get to feature lock, I guess!), of which there are 8 things on the tracker to be done for 2.0.

Because I feel like sharing, here's what's still to come on the tracker before we crunch into a hardcore testing phase:
* (bug) ticket to topic doesn't handle custom fields
* (bug) email notifications not always being logged properly
* (bug) cannot yet set a default value in the multi-select checkbox type custom field (it's still a feature enhancement in the tracker because it wasn't originally a bug that it was missing...)
* (minor feature) the bundled "front page" plugin, for a custom front page, needs retesting against departments code and a couple of minor enhancements to come
* (minor feature) auto closing tickets needs to be finished; there's some underlying code for it but more is needed
* (minor feature) the ability to send one-off emails and the ability to include yourself on notifications, without replying to the ticket, needs to be added
* (minor feature) the ability to use a radio/select field as a category filter on tickets needs to be added
* (feature) canned replies needs to be added

No doubt, several of those might spawn new bugs during their implementation, and no doubt we'll find more bugs as we go, because in any sufficiently complex system, there are likely to be things you just never encountered before, but the hardcore beta phase should dig those out with any luck :)

I should also add, this version adds a plugin system of sorts, and there are already a few plugins in the repository, some of those need more work before we can release them, but with any luck that can be done without too much pain in the coming days/weeks so you'll be able to use those too.

And on that note, I'm off to bed!