News:

Looking for a good read? Check out the SimpleDesk Team Blog.

Main Menu

Board redirect (was Re: Sneaky peeky at SimpleDesk 1.0)

Started by Acans, January 30, 2010, 11:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acans

Gruffen

All the features that are beyond 1.0 are hidden in the tracker so we can reveal them as time goes on - while the list is reasonably static, and both 1.0 and 1.1 are frozen, I'm not averse to a little juggling for 1.2 or beyond, but we'd need a compelling reason to move things around, to be honest.

I see a board redirect as a minor feature at best, while I've tried to set the roadmap so that each version - bearing in mind a short release cycle - contains about 4 new things, of which I'd deem 2 or 3 as 'big things'.

[FailSafe]

Quote from: Arantor on January 30, 2010, 11:30:50 PM
The tab right now, already, lists Helpdesk if you're a user, or staff with no allocated tickets, or Helpdesk [1] for the number of tickets allocated to you - like it does with private messages. (And yes, the number is correctly calculated for allocated tickets)

Wow, that is bleh cool! :D

So then there will be a section for SD staff to view all of their assigned tickets?

~DS~

Quote from: [FailSafe] on January 31, 2010, 04:46:04 PM
Quote from: Arantor on January 30, 2010, 11:30:50 PM
The tab right now, already, lists Helpdesk if you're a user, or staff with no allocated tickets, or Helpdesk [1] for the number of tickets allocated to you - like it does with private messages. (And yes, the number is correctly calculated for allocated tickets)

Wow, that is bleh cool! :D

So then there will be a section for SD staff to view all of their assigned tickets?
Yep, your staffs.
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

Gruffen

The homepage of the helpdesk is contextual (and already implemented) - for regular users, they will see their tickets, for staff they will see all tickets. (Subject to privacy; tickets can be set up to be 'private', meaning you could even have staff filing tickets that only senior staff can see)

[FailSafe]

So then if a regular user receives a reply on one of their tickets then they will get the "HelpDesk [1]" notification too?

Gruffen

No, because it's not physically assigned to them. Can only be assigned to staff.

I specifically avoided doing a lookup on new status on all tickets for performance but it's something I can re-evaluate - bearing in mind, it's per page load, and I'm very much trying to avoid having to cram it into the user table like the PM count is.

[FailSafe]

Hmm....I can understand why you wouldn't want to include it for performance reasons, but there should be a way to let users know that someone has gotten back to them.

Is it possible to, instead of having it go through all tickets and checking for a new reply, the SD sends a message when a staff member replies. Kind of like how there is a message that is posted attached to "Move Topic" there can be a message attached to tickets when a staff replies. So instead of it looking at all the topics a code is just executed when staff replies which sends the message. Or would that be like trying to hammer in a nail with a screwdriver?

Spoogs

I would love to see the board feature sooner but understand that it would affect the initial release. I have been following the progress for sometime and keeping picturing it in my head to redirect my users to the help desk rather than having a tab for.

I'd have to agree with [FailSafe] regarding notifying the users about a response to their ticket. If we arent talking a real major performance hit I doubt too many would mind at all.

Trekkie101

Ooops sorry, I thought the feature request thing was open. Oh well keep requesting and we shall keep discussing :P

Acans

Quote from: Francis on January 31, 2010, 04:20:27 AM
Quote from: Acans on January 31, 2010, 04:07:01 AM
Trekkie, I cannot post stuff in the project tracker.
That's because it is locked to team members.

Quote from: Trekkie101 on January 31, 2010, 11:22:31 PM
Ooops sorry, I thought the feature request thing was open. Oh well keep requesting and we shall keep discussing :P

HA, I knew my English skills weren't failure

Gruffen

Well, I have to be honest, the whole [1] thing wasn't something I *planned*, it's just something that occurred to me and I figured it wouldn't be much work to implement. In hindsight it did actually cause more work (and for a while was causing white screen of death during uninstall under certain but common repeatable conditions)

I'll discuss this with the other devs and get their feel on it - I'm personally concerned to evaluating unread tickets every page load. Storing it in a variable like PMs do is doable but I'm not overly comfortable with that as there's still a performance hit to actually stuff the value in there, but it's significantly lower than evaluating every page.

Sending a message - that's doable, though notifications (originally for email) is something I had down for a little later on too.

Gruffen

I've added this one to the tracker now properly - http://www.simpledesk.net/community/issue,96.0/

We did discuss the performance issues and we think we can do it without significant amounts of pain. We now have a test tool that can make LOTS of test data (30,000 tickets, anyone :P) so we can do some performance testing as we go along with this.

cσσкιє мσηѕтєя

Quote from: Arantor on February 08, 2010, 07:30:54 AM
30,000 tickets, anyone :P

Oops.... :P
Actually, it ended up on 40325 tickets before I killed it properly. :D