News:

Loving SimpleDesk? Help us spread the word!

Main Menu

SimpleDesk 1.0 RC1

Started by Gruffen, March 15, 2010, 12:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gruffen

Yeah, I did want to go from RC1 to final but this one is something of a showstopper and the amount of work needed to fix it means I'm not overly comfortable going to final without it being tested properly. C'est la vie, as they say across the channel.

But as much as I was disappointed, we caught it now, rather than after 1.0 had gone final, which is never a bad thing. Plus I got some practice playing with SleePy's download manager, which is also not a bad thing.

The really funny thing? In the back of my mind I knew there was something wrong, I even said it to Nas yesterday that I thought we'd forgotten something. In hindsight I remember looking over that code not long after it was first written and thinking something might not be right, but it seemed to work at first glance, so I just moved on to the rest of it; at that point some of the bigger hurdles were still pending (e.g. attachments) so moved on to those.

I haven't touched the code since this afternoon, just settling the process in my mind for how it will have to be set out and the general nature of the queries for it - I'm hoping it should only take a day or so to code up once I get it clear exactly how it should work, then we can roll it out to testing ready for an RC2.

So yeah, little disappointed, but relieved we caught it now rather than after it had gone wild, so to speak.

Guinness, mmm sounds lovely :D

[FailSafe]

Late to the party, but congrats guys! :) I love the progress so far!

Senkusha

Wow, I wonder what big bug it is you found. ...

You know, I've got this friend, Skuld...she's like a goddess ... and she has a cool hammer that she can squash 'bugs' with....I'll talk to her if you want, maybe she'll let you borrow it? :D

Anyway, from reading the tracker, this looks to be the Deletion bug?  So let me get this straight:

You have a ticket, and some replies, say there are five replies.  You want to delete reply number 2, so .... the system deletes the entire reply chain, or are you talking about deleting the TICKET (with replies assuming)?

If it's the first scenario, I would just add a field to the database table that's a flag, if it's a '1', then that post is 'deleted' and is filtered out of the display (admin's however, could still see the post, but shade it a different color).  If it's the second scenario, I'm a bit confused as to why the system would create a new ticket ID, but then again, I haven't seen the code either.... good luck!

tfs

Quote from: Senkusha on March 16, 2010, 12:56:09 AM
You have a ticket, and some replies, say there are five replies.  You want to delete reply number 2, so .... the system deletes the entire reply chain, or are you talking about deleting the TICKET (with replies assuming)?

There hasn't been a problem that I'm aware of with deleting tickets.  When you delete a ticket (parent), the ticket and all of its replies (children) are sent to the recycle bin.  And when you undelete that ticket it comes back just like you'd expect, with all of its replies intact.  It looks just like it did when you sent it to the recycle bin.

The trouble has been with deleting replies from within a ticket.  Say you delete reply #2.  It shows up in the recycle bin.  But when you delete reply 3 and 4 they don't show up in the recycle bin.  Then when you restore reply #2, all three come back to the original ticket, however reply #2 now shows up at the very end of the replies on the ticket.  As if it was the last one entered.  So the entry order is lost.

I don't believe this behavior was there a week ago, because I deleted lots of replies, and they were all visible in the recycle bin.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Gruffen

Odd, the code has changed in the delete module, but nothing substantial. Will go back over the log to investigate what changed when (yay for SVN) but the flag per message looks to be the way we're going to be going ultimately.

tfs

I believe the thing that changed was not the restored reply sort order issue, that was already there.  The problem that's new is the one where the first deleted reply for a ticket shows up in the recycle bin but the subsequent deleted replies disappear.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can an evil tree bring forth good fruit.

Shadow

I have fail Rc3 I am not sure I can help fix my website. I am struggle I want to help solve my website. that is why old Avera instead new development to better Website.. I hope be fix on smooth my website. I am anxiously I lots of hard work.

Shadow

I am sad, I am very anxiously  can I help solve my RC1 or RC3 I try help best community to development to grow because I am try help fix on my website not sure I can help do someone support to me.. I lots stress struggle on my website...I don't know how I can help someone teach me support. I am expect to good friendly. I want development to project..

Gruffen

We do not provide SMF support here. www.simplemachines.org is the place to go for that.

Tiribulus

Ya know at first I thought this was just a cool project that wouldn't probably be of much use to me personally, but I do actually fix computers for a living and it occurred to me I could use this to track my jobs :o  GAHLEEE, don't ask me why I didn't think of that before.

~DS~

Quote from: Tiribulus on March 17, 2010, 04:01:20 PM
Ya know at first I thought this was just a cool project that wouldn't probably be of much use to me personally, but I do actually fix computers for a living and it occurred to me I could use this to track my jobs :o  GAHLEEE, don't ask me why I didn't think of that before.
That's the purpose of the helpdesk.  ;)
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

Tiribulus

Indeed. I will be interested to see how this proceeds.

My condolences on going from 99 back down to 93% I'm guessing in the wake of that bug mentioned earlier :'(

You guys'll get it there, but I can imagine the downer that must be.

Gruffen

Actually, it's not at all :)

Robbo gave us a variety of items of feedback which I asked to be logged as lots of separate items so they could be fixed individually - and as we speak I've been ploughing into them :)

tfs

Robbo gave a whole page of good suggestions!

Tiribulus

Quote from: tfs on March 18, 2010, 02:19:58 AM
Robbo gave a whole page of good suggestions!

That's what I get for assuming ::)