News:

Loving SimpleDesk? Help us spread the word!

Main Menu

The road to 1.0

Started by Gruffen, February 22, 2010, 04:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gruffen

The other thing is that while we're testing as we go, we're not always doing a thorough test, certainly most of the "testing" I'm doing as I go is just proving it works, rather than full blown testing as I'll be doing once 1.0 is actually done (yes, I'll be testing it pretty hard during the QA phase, for things like optimisation of queries, as well as proving it works fully)

Francis

Quote from: Arantor on February 22, 2010, 09:16:34 PM
No, the confusion is simply over how the front page is arranged. Tickets can only be assigned to one person at a time.

Well, we can throw the language files at you but we'd rather have a translation tool in place first. Trouble is, Nas and I have been busy working on SD itself and not had time to work on the language editor.

Might have to just issue the language files somewhere in the forum for you to get cracking... not sure yet. I'm still adding language strings on an almost daily basis right now!
Okay, well, it's up to you. :)

hadesflames

No, the confusion is simply over how the front page is arranged. Tickets can only be assigned to one person at a time.

Well, we can throw the language files at you but we'd rather have a translation tool in place first. Trouble is, Nas and I have been busy working on SD itself and not had time to work on the language editor.

Might have to just issue the language files somewhere in the forum for you to get cracking... not sure yet. I'm still adding language strings on an almost daily basis right now!

Perhaps you should expand the team...one or two more people wouldn't hurt, and you'd be able to get them to do things like translation editor or anything else that needs to be done while you and Nas work on the core project. You could even make a "customizer" group for such a task.
*will add something eventually*

Francis

Quote from: hadesflames on February 23, 2010, 02:27:59 PM

Perhaps you should expand the team...one or two more people wouldn't hurt, and you'd be able to get them to do things like translation editor or anything else that needs to be done while you and Nas work on the core project. You could even make a "customizer" group for such a task.
That would be a good idea, IMO. :)

[FailSafe]

Hades, expand the teams that are already there or add new teams?

Either way I kind of agree. Maybe even adding another developer to the team would make the release go a lot quicker, but also adding a new team to focus on "non-core dev" stuff while the Developers focus on coding the main SD.

Though there are kind of a lot of teams that are formed currently that don't really do much right now (not that I can see as a simple user at least), but I know that's going to change when the ball starts to get rolling here. It's just that the common advice for people that start new sites is to start simple, and then expand when needed. We all know of the users who add 20 empty boards in the beginning expecting for them to fill up, but the same can happen for staff too. It just looks like there are positions for the sake of positions.

Not trying to bash anyone or anything here, just posting my opinion. But every aspect has to be taken into consideration for a production site like this. Is there any need for a support group or support boards when it hasn't even been released yet? It'll be just as easy to add it in when there is actual support to be had.

So expanding the team the wrong way would do more to hurt to help. Just wanted to toss that word of warning out there.

I'd say to add another developer or two, add a team to help with non-SD features to be built, and check to see what teams  could be added later.

But this is all just my opinion. You're free to take it how you want. :P

Trekkie101

Initially we were keeping the site rather quiet, nothing was being mentioned, and the support boards were in place for when we had something to support. Since then we have weaponised this site into becoming one of our primary marketing tools for SimpleDesk.

Along the way we've forged a structure out to support different things. Our beta team have been created in anticipation of the first beta release which is due very soon. Our quality assurance team are beefed up for code review. Marketing, Documentation, Globalisation, will all become active soon.

Gradually we've went from a simple install of SMF, to something rather amazing, rather quickly.

Also, 1.0 is well past half way now :D

[FailSafe]

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. I am amazed at the growth and expansion of SimpleDesk but I just end up worrying when groups and boards are just left vacant. :)

Just a question though: What exactly is the job of the Project Support?

Gruffen

Project Support team is for the stuff that supports the other teams - Trekkie manages the project as a whole, and ensures we have access to servers and facilities, SleePy manages the site and is responsible for, amongst other things, most of the stuff that isn't the forum itself.

[FailSafe]

When I think of support I think of a longer rung than what both Trekkie and SleePy are doing. They sound more like they are heading up their own departments than supporters. :P

You know, i'm not sure why i'm arguing about this. Well, it's your call so i'll just stop it here.

Gruffen

Hardly an argument - you asked a good, relevant and intelligent question, there's the answer.

In a larger organisation they'd be heading up departments and teams, but it'd be weird to have a Site Team and a Management Team of one person each.

[FailSafe]

Ah, so then would this be a case of leaving room for expansion?

Gruffen

Something like that, and also because really, the Project Support team do the stuff to support the project as a whole, managing the project and keeping the devs from slacking, as well as making sure site and other resources are available is really what the PS team is there for - devs make the software, support team supports the users, Project Support makes sure they, and everyone else, has the tools they need.

One thing PS is looking at right now, for example, is a tool to automate translation management into the site, so translators don't have to manually mess with files, but have a web based management tool to deal with it.

[FailSafe]

Ah, alright. So then would what we (as in the people in this thread) were talking about before with adding a group for Customizers basically be like the PS group?

Gruffen

Yeah, really, if we were adding people to work on the site, they'd be PS or if we had several we would probably form a Site Team.

Spoogs

do my eyes deceive me or did we go from 73% an hour ago to 80% now

*spoogs sings... I'm so excited ;D