How to install SD 2.0_rc1 using FTP

Started by Buck Backup, July 11, 2011, 06:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck Backup

I'm new to SD and SMF.  Please be patient with me if I've posted incorrectly. 

I've downloaded the SimpleDesk 2.0_rc1.zip, unzipped, used FTP to push it up to my host (1and1)  in a /forum directory that has chmod 755 on it.  All directories under there are 755 and files are 644.

When I use firefox to visit http://www.mysite.com/forum/install.php I receive the following error:

Error: Cannot install - please verify you put this file in the same place as SMF's SSI.php.
on a white page.

I've looked over the forums and docs for any information on installing this but only found some for SMF which I've tried to follow by creating a Database on my server and verifying PHP is 5.0 or later.

Forgive this old Windows goof but you have to give me credit for trying....now can anyone give me any ideas on how to get this running?

Thanks for any help you can give..
Buck

Spoogs

Firstly SD installs very easily through the Package Manager by going to.. Admin>> Package Manager, then click the download tab, scroll down to Upload a Package and you can upload the zipped package there.

To install via ftp, you would need to create a directory called SimpleDesk in the Packages directory and uploaded the extracted files there, then go to Admin>> Package Manager, you should see SimpleDesk (the directory you created) and it should have an install option.

Gruffen

Sounds like you haven't actually installed SMF to start with, to be honest. SimpleDesk explicitly requires SMF 2.0, which it proceeds to extend through the add-on package management functionality built into SMF.

Buck Backup

Ah, oops, I could see that being a problem.  Going there now.  Thank you.

I found the SimpleDesk site without first finding the SMF site.  That said, there isn't anything on the SimpleDesk site to indicate I need SMF first.  Any installation instructions I missed somewhere?

Spoogs

Good catch Gruff

@Buck - There maybe reference somewhere in the News and Announcements and other topics across the site, and in our defense the target audience thus far has been SMF users. We've been working on some documentation but that won't be completed until some time after SD 2.0 Final is released.

Buck Backup

OK, I've installed SMF, very easy.  I simply downloaded the .zip file, used FireFTP to push the files to a /forum directory.  Ran the install.php script and once I figured out that I needed to put the port at the end of my database hostname like this:  mydatabase.db.1and1.com:xxxx   All went well.

Then I created a /desk directory in the Packages directory and pushed up the simpledesk files.  Logging into the admin interface I then found the packages installation utility and the Simpledesk install went well.  THANKS for your help!  Great support.

Buck

Spoogs

Glad you got installed and functional... however keep in mind that it's much easier to use the Package Manager as I explained above unless you're having issues with it.

Enjoy your new helpdesk and feel free start a new topic if you have any other question or issues  8)