Main Menu

SEF urls here

Started by Afro, March 26, 2010, 04:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afro

Arantor, I am a little curios as to why the simpledesk website uses a SEF url.
Since i i know you as a major critic of such urls. ;D

~DS~

Not because it help SEO but it makes the url looks nice and pretty.  :P
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

Afro

I see, so its adviceable to make urls look pretty against possible slow loading due to more heavy mods like the pretty urls ?

~DS~

Quote from: Afro on March 26, 2010, 04:46:13 PM
I see, so its adviceable to make urls look pretty against possible slow loading due to more heavy mods like the pretty urls ?
I do not know the answer to this. I will let Arantor speak for himself.
"I was given the wardrobe of a nobleman, and so I played the part, a puppet ever dancing for the amusement of patrons unseen. This wretched world does not reward endeavour. It is the patron and his troupe who are receipt, maggots grown fat on endeavour's corpse. Most men but play the part they're given. Most live and die not knowing they play a part at all. But I am past all that now. I am their unwitting puppet no longer! No more! I will extract from them the price of their gluttonous feast! ~ Delita Heiral

Gruffen

First up, we use SimpleSEF here which is I believe significantly faster than Pretty URLs.

In reality though, I don't have much to do with the workings of the site itself; my time is primarily spent working on SimpleDesk itself rather than the site, so while I have done things around here (some of the sig images, the API docs), primarily I stay out of the site code. I seem to recall using SSEF was actually done in the spirit of experimentation, whether it does - or does not - actually benefit things.

Personally, I'm not fussed either way, provided that everything works as it's supposed to. But I can't deny it does make the URLs prettier (and I'd note that even SlammedDime agrees there is little or no SEO benefit to pretty URLs)

Afro

I get it.
I actually ditched everything sef url because i usually run into trouble after using it for long.
one mod or the other usually conflicts with all of them and i recall getting a confirmation to that fro you.

Gruffen

Yeah, it doesn't add anything significant IMHO.

But others seem to like the idea, and I said I didn't mind what the folks who manage this site do provided it works - I don't want to be spending time debugging the site when I should be debugging SimpleDesk!

Afro

Ok then. I hope the SD development is moving smoothly.

~DS~

Quote from: Afro on March 26, 2010, 05:34:29 PM
I get it.
I actually ditched everything sef url because i usually run into trouble after using it for long.
one mod or the other usually conflicts with all of them and i recall getting a confirmation to that fro you.
There's one of the reason I didn't use in on my site as it does not really benefit anything at all but making the url pretty. I was having some issues as it breaks something so I am better off without. I mean do people really care about the url? It's simply copy and paste and links them where you want them to be.

[FailSafe]

Quote from: Dismal Shadow on March 26, 2010, 05:40:10 PM
I mean do people really care about the url? It's simply copy and paste and links them where you want them to be.

Agreed.

Derby

Quote from: [FailSafe] on March 27, 2010, 12:00:29 AM
Quote from: Dismal Shadow on March 26, 2010, 05:40:10 PM
I mean do people really care about the url? It's simply copy and paste and links them where you want them to be.

Agreed.
Agreed

MultiformeIngegno

Yes but for example if you have for example:

THIS
instead of just
THIS

...with the mouse hover you can know the content of the topic without visiting it! It's usefu,l and not for SEO benefits! :D
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum - tv)
Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...

...iscriviti al feed di RockCiclopedia dedicato alle ultime news del mondo della musica!